Alex shook his head at the idea. "Nah. That's the expensive way to do it. What do you want? A regular privacy fence? I'll take the truck down to Home Depot and buy a load of fence slats and we'll build it ourselves."

I looked at him like he was crazy. "Come again?"

He shrugged and flashed me that knee-weakening smile again. "I'm serious. I've built fences before. It's easy."

"Boy, you are really showing off that Texas streak in you right now," I laughed. "Whatever you say, though. If you think you can handle it, go for it."

Alex smirked. "Don't think I'll be doing all the work, Kate. You're going to help."

"I know." I waved my hand. "Every job needs a supervisor. I'll just be the supervisor."

He rolled his eyes and chuckled, shaking his head.

Damn, that smile was really something. And his laugh was like music to my ears.

Get a grip, Kate!

"So... You want a hand with that puppy adoption?" he asked in a hopeful voice, his eyes twinkling like a kid on Christmas morning.

"You just want to see a puppy, don't you?" I looked at him knowingly.

He grinned and nodded. "Yeah. I really do."

We agreed that Alex would accompany me to the rescue, and as the afternoon went on, my excitement continued to grow. It had been a few years since I'd had a pet. My last pet had been a cat, because dogs weren't allowed in the apartment I rented during my last year of school. I'd been wanting to get a dog for a long time, but with my long work hours and the long commute on top of that, it had never seemed like the right time. I was sure, living closer to work, I'd have plenty of time to devote to a dog now, and I really couldn't be more thrilled, the more I thought about it!

As the day went on, my phone seemed to ring nonstop. First, it was Angie. She called to inform me that our applications had been approved, as expected, and that she'd be emailing me the lease agreement, which I quickly signed and sent back.

Selena, Kacey, and I agreed on Friday morning to meet with the landlord to pay the first month's rent and decide on a day to start moving in. I told them about Alex's sweet offer to not only provide the moving trailer, but also build the fence. As I predicted, both girls squealed with excitement at the mention of a puppy coming to live with us.

The next call was from Lindsey, telling me she'd officially listed my house for sale and she was putting the sign in the yard as we spoke. I made a mental note to run by the recycling place and pick up a bunch of moving boxes on my way home. I needed to hurry up and get started on packing.

In between phone calls, I finished writing my article and sent it to Selena to get her opinion. She read it over lunch with Kacey and texted me an enthusiastic approval, complete with nineteen emoji hearts. I took that as my cue to give it one last glance over, and sent it in to the editors and Mandy.

Next, I grabbed a coffee refill and decided then was a perfect time to read Alex's article. I wasn't emotionally prepared for how heavy it would be, though.

The article was a little longer than mine and a lot more personal. Alex framed the column around his cousin, Matthew, whom he'd been close to in their younger years. They'd gone to the same school, played the same sports, and even dated the same cheerleader at one point. They were more like brothers than cousins, practically inseparable. But shortly after Matthew turned seventeen, he committed suicide – a result of years of depression and anxiety encompassing him, and no one noticing the signs and offering help.