Chapter 19: Divorce papers!

Start from the beginning

"I know you wouldn't! Thanks, Mom." I said while side-hugging her. It's funny how she understood my unsaid words and forgave me for my silly question. But I wondered if this wasn't the reason then what happened to Nandani? I hate to think about it but was it something related to Adit? If it was, then I probably didn't want to know of it.

My friends were also invited and they awkwardly stood in a corner. This was likely not a function they would have attended if I had not requested them. Cabir looked at me pleading with his eyes to get out of this place. I looked at Nandani and she was done with her pooja. I signaled Cabir that we would be out in five minutes and they all walked out happily, waiting for us. "Nandani, "I called out as she walked towards me. "Let's get out of here. You are done here right?" I asked and she once again just nodded looking away.

We both walked out from the hall and everyone was waiting outside. I had totally forgotten that things were a little awkward between Nandani and everyone else. They all, including Nandani exchanged an awkward greeting.

Nandani's POV

I had been trying to pretend and it was all okay but I am failing so miserably. The more I pretend to be normal then more I can't speak up. I feel like I will end up tearing if I looked at Manik. His friends are also here and it's so awkward. They probably hate me and want to send me off soon too, like Manik.

"Let's chill outside, it's really boring inside with all the noise and elders." Aaliya surprisingly said trying to erase the awkwardness. That was so unlikely of her. "Should we play a game?" She asked and to which Manik responded enthusiastically, "That's a good idea." Everything was fine until I saw Manik smiling brightly upon his response to Aaliya. There was this surge of an unknown emotion in me.

"Let's play Charades!" Cabir interrupted. We all got into two teams. It was Aaliya, Dhruv and I versus Manik, Navya, Cabir and Mukti. Aaliya went first from our team. We had to guess what she was trying to in-act. I could tell she was really bad at this. "You?" "Me" "together" "us" Dhruv and I were trying to guess anything but it was impossible to interpret her. Manik was having the time of his life seeing Aaliya struggling. I faintly heard him say she looked cute. My mind was no longer on the game and the smallest thing had started to annoy me. "Nandani, please help!" Dhruv asked.

This was so out of character but I could not hide the annoyance in my voice. "What do I do? She can't even act properly." I said and everyone looked at me shocked. My high pitched, angry and stern voice was probably new to them. Manik stepped up and spoke to me defending Aaliya, "why are you getting so annoyed. It was so simple, Dil Se, that was the name of the movie. Aaliya was trying so hard and you both couldn't guess."

I snapped, "yeah! It's me who was dumb! Maybe I am too dumb to play this game. You know what, you all carry on! I will leave." My brain could comprehend the situation but my heart had taken all control over my mouth. I would have never behaved this way but at this moment, I can't help myself. My anger was making me restless and I walked away from there. As I was walking away, I could hear Manik following me.

"Nandani, wait!" He said as he held my hand to stop me. "What's wrong with you? What was that? Why were you behaving like this with Aaliya. That's not you! Is everything alright with you?" He asked. I couldn't figure out if he was concerned about Aaliya or me. Just the thought of him being concerned about Aaliya added fuel to my fire.

"Why, was I so rude to your Aaliya. You couldn't bear it?" I was saying everything and anything that was popping in my head. Nandani stop talking is what the angle side of me begged.

"Why are you fighting me? I am just trying to talk. And yes, I will not let anyone be rude to my friends. Not even you Nandani." Manik made it clear and brought my senses back to normal. What was I doing?

Manik looked annoyed and was walking away while I held his arm to stop him. "Don't look back," I requested as I was really embarrassed on my behaviour. "I am sorry," I said while a tear fell off my eyes. I took few deep breaths to stabilize my voice and asked, "Do you really like Aaliya that much?" The next moment after I said those words, I realized what impact it could cause. I wanted to buy sometime and not leave right away but what if Manik asks me now to leave. Why did I have to ask this to him now. "Wait! Don't answer that." I said not being prepared to hear his response.

"Nandani...," he tried to explained but I cut him off. "Not a word Manik, please. Please don't follow me." I said and escaped as soon as my legs let me. What was I thinking? My one stupid question has ended this deal of ours. He is going to ask me to leave him as soon as we get home.

Things are starting to take a turn in MaNan's life. What do you all think of today's update? Are things going to get worse between them or is everything finally starting to get better? Do share your comments.