Chapter Four: Diana, Princess of Wales

Start from the beginning

That and he would not have to deal with the Earl Spencer for a while, he was almost grateful that it was Diana's mother and sister who had been left in charge of her will and acting as executors of her estate. 

The less he had to deal with the man, the better especially in regards to his children; Charles very much doubted the Earl Spencer had saw past his own grief when writing his speech for the funeral to even consider them. 

Afterall, Charles admitted that he had wronged Diana in life but the same could not be said for her younger brother who had turned his back on her when she had needed him most and had nowhere else to go.

***

Staring at the coffin as it made its way down the street, Adeline stood between her father and eldest brother as they waited for the coffin to pass; no one spoke while they waited in a line for the coffin to pass. 

There had been much discussion on what would be expected of Adeline because she was much younger than her brothers; it did not seem fair to exclude her and send her away to the Abbey while they walked behind the coffin. 

It had been Philip's words to Harry that had been the swaying factor, if they did not do this now then they would likely regret not having had the chance to pay their respects to their mother properly. 

 Adeline was grateful that they had not sent her ahead with the rest of family, she wanted to be here with her brothers so that they could face this together. 

The crowds were silent around them, no one said a word as they watched the coffin move by slowly being pulled along on a carriage by horses; the occasional sob and wail could be heard as they passed by. 

Behind them stood a gathering of 500 people from charities that Diana had supported during her life; there were so many to choose from and they had done their best to ask as many as possible in such a short space of time. 

Charles, Adeline, William, Earl Spencer, Harry, and Prince Philip waited for the coffin to pass them by; the two royal men doing their best to offer comfort to each of the children. 

Slowly the coffin moved passed them and then they started the walk down the street towards the Abbey where the funeral would take place; the streets lined with people for as far as the eye could see. 

Adeline walked quietly, her eyes focused on the flag covered coffin that carried her mother as they made the journey to the abbey; it was still strange to think that it was her in there. 

The children had each written a letter that had been placed inside of the coffin, something from each of them that would remain with their mother forever. 

Adeline had insisted that her mother have the teddy bear that she had had since she was a little girl, it had been a gift for a birthday and it would keep her company; she would not be alone in that box. 

Tears filled Adeline's vision and she blinked just thinking about her mother, she could not help but think of all the games that they had played in the gardens that surrounded their home or the holidays that they had shared.

The last being when they had been in the South of France just weeks ago, the last holiday that they would ever take with their mother and memories that Adeline wished to hold on to; ones that she feared she would forget. 

William walked with his head down, he found it hard to even look at the coffin that carried his mother; he had so many memories of his mother and he still could not believe that she was gone. 

The walk towards the Abbey seemed to go on forever, there was never a sound as they walked as people paid their respects to Diana; the occasional tolling of the bell was the only sound that could be heard. 

There were moments that they could hear people sobbing, expressing their condolences and love for a woman that they had never met; a woman that they had adored so much that they had pushed for a public funeral when her last days had been hounded by the press. 

Each time that the sounds reached Adeline, her eyes filled with more tears and she was ever so grateful that her father was beside her; she kept pace with the group as they continued on their journey. 

Reaching the Abbey, the charities slowly broke away leaving only the family to follow after the coffin; flowers placed outside of the Abbey as the carriage came to a stop. 

The Welsh Guards that had occupied her on her journey to the abbey moved to lift the coffin from the carriage before they slowly carried it inside; they were followed by the family who shuffled slowly into the Abbey. 

The choir started to sing as the coffin started its slow procession through the abbey, the music sounded haunting and Adeline sniffed as she followed her mother's coffin down the aisle. 

Once they reached the front of the church, the coffin was slowly lowered down onto the stand before everyone took their seats; the air almost stifling as they all stared at the standard covered coffin of Diana, Princess of Wales. 

Today she would be laid to rest and no one would be able to hurt her anymore, her burial would be private with only close family being allowed to attend as she was peaceful laid to rest on her family estate.