Chapter 7

~Devin's POV~ (edited)

Once the last bell rings I grab my bag from the desk and head straight to his classroom. I am beyond pissed.

I wasn't doing anything wrong, that bastard ex of mine was the one doing the wrong doing. I felt trapped in his attempt to pin me against the lockers. I know he was trying to act concerned, but I wasn't falling for it nor was I ever going to fall back into that. Mr. Big-bad-Teacher comes and tries to save the day and then tries to give me yet another detention.

I clench my fist around the strap of my bag, pushing through the crowd of students. I probably look like a mad woman, eyes red in anger, smoke pouring from my ears.

I'm dramatic, sue me.

Soon enough the halls start to empty. It’s quiet, only a few voices and locker slams being heard. I turn the corner seeing that his door is wide open and I make note that once I'm in there I'm going to rip him a new one.

I walk through the door and up to his desk, slamming my bag down onto it. "You were seriously going to give me another detention because that asshole?" I spit, glaring in his direction.

"Well hello to you too, Ms. Cavanagh." he looks up through his glasses.

"Yeah, yeah. Hi to you too… Are you going to explain that crap you pulled out there?" I cross my arms over my chest.

"What crap? You didn't think because you work for my mother and because I took you home last night I was just going to let you off easy at school?" My mouth nearly drops to my feet.

I turn around, taking my seat.

Asshole.

"I've heard worse, a lot worse actually." Of course I said that out loud. My eyes glance down to the bandage on my arm, picking at the edges of the tape holding it together.

“That wasn't from your curling iron was it?" I hear him ask. I don't look up. I don't know what to say to him, he’s right, it wasn't from my curling iron. Though I don't want him to know that.

“Yes it was," I shortly answer, still keeping my eyes at my feet.

"Your hair is straight, Devin. I may not know you too well, but I know when you women lie." That's it.

"Can you just leave it? It's none of your concern!" I hear him take in a sharp breath, letting it out slowly. He doesn't push me any further and I'm glad. If he would have I probably would have snapped and came unglued at the seams. Yes, he's my teacher. Yes, he's suppose to care about his students well being, but at this fucking point I don't need his sympathy let alone anyone else's.

I reach into my bag, pulling out my phone along with my headphones, turning on the only music that will calm my nerves.

...

An hour has passed by and my nerves have finally calmed down. Dillan, Noah, and Brendon are all out like a light. I thank God for them being the biggest stoners in school.

The song Afire Love by Ed Sheeran is ringing through my ears. During this moment I lift my eyes to be met with his for a quick second, but he looks away. I can't help the smirk that spreads across my face when he does so.

"Did you need something, Mr. S?" He doesn't look up from his papers.

I have no clue what I'm doing, but my feet seem to answer that for me when I start making my way to Harry's desk. His emerald eyes are watching me. I see him struggling to scan my body, it's not working as well as he had planned.