6.

Before starting to walk, I curled WinWin's arm around mine so he would hold onto my upper arm while I directed him. He tensed at my gesture, but let it happen.

"I don't want to lose you," I told him, patting his hand that held my arm.

WinWin moved his head a bit and tilted up his chin. "Do you smell that?"

"Yeah, we're passing the food court. Do you—"

I was cut off as WinWin dropped his hand from my arm and stumbled back a couple steps. I looked at him as a middle-aged man glared with irritation. "Hey, watch where you're going!" he barked at WinWin.

He flinched at the man's anger and didn't say anything. I watched as WinWin's jaw clenched.

"Are you not going to make eye contact, or even reply? Don't you have respect?" the man went on.

I gently pulled WinWin closer to me and stepped in front of him. "I'm sorry, but you should really consider the circumstances before you open your mouth, sir," I warned him.

He gaped at me, surprised by my defense.

"Do you not see how I was directing him and how he can't exactly look in your direction?" I went on. "He couldn't see you because he can't see."

The man's mind didn't see to change from his continuous glare. "Why the hell did you bring him here then?"

"Are you saying blind people aren't allowed to be in a public place?" I scoffed.

WinWin reached out his hand, finding my shoulder. "Yuta, just leave it. I knew you shouldn't have invited me," he whispered.

Though, I didn't listen. I only felt more grounded and frustrated with this man. "I guess people with disabilities shouldn't be allowed in this building, then." I shrugged coldly. WinWin squeezed my shoulder as if telling me to drop out. I looked back to see his worried face. His eyebrows were lowered and a slight frown was pulling on his lips.

I sighed, taking WinWin's arm and dragging him away from the food court. I gave the man one last hard stare before leaving him for good. WinWin sighed in relief.

"Are we leaving? I'll call Yieun." WinWin reached into his pocket to pull out his phone. Before he could say a command into his phone, I took it from his hands and slipped the device into my jacket pocket. "Hey!"

"I'm not going to let that guy stop me from getting you out of your house." I slowed my pacing to a more comfortable walk. "I still need to get my cleats and something for my mom."

"I don't want to be in the way and be a burden. What if I—"

I stopped walking and turned WinWin to face me, my hands gingerly holding his shoulders. "WinWin, you're nowhere near a burden. Why do you think I've been making an effort to hang out with you?"

WinWin pressed his lips together. After a second of hesitation, he nodded.

I let a smile appear on my face before hooking his arm back with mine. We headed to find cleats first. I dragged WinWin behind me as I looked for one that I had visioned. WinWin's hand traced the racks and softly touched the shoes he passed. His hand wrapped around one as he held it up. "What about this one?"

"Well, it's blue. Nice style. Too bad it's a women's shoe." I let out a short laugh.

WinWin brought his hand back to the rack and placed the shoe in its spot. He smiled with embarrassment and scratched his arm. "I told you I wouldn't be much help."

I pat WinWin on the back and let my hand fall to grab his. "On the right side is where the men's cleats are."

Near the end of the row, I spotted one that I had in mind. Most of the ones in the store were bright colors, but I only needed a black and white pair. WinWin's hand was still in mine as he followed me to the register and out of the store.

"What are you wanting to get your mom?" he asked.

"I was thinking just a mug and a candle, but I want to do something a little more special since I haven't seen her in a while."

"You haven't seen her in a while? How long?"

I hesitated, realizing I already let it slip. My jaw clenched as I didn't say anything in reply.

WinWin stopped walking, which pulled me to a stop as well. "Yuta, is everything okay?"

"Yeah, it's all fine."

"Yuta, I may be blind, but I can tell that not everything is fine." His grip tightened on my hand.

I looked at his determined face before drawing in a long breath. "My parents haven't been together for fifteen years now. My dad took full custody of me, which I wish I went with my mom because I'm closer to her. She moved back to Japan; that's where both of my parents are from. They came here to get married since my mom's parents didn't approve of my father. My mom sometimes comes in for a week to see me and catch up while staying in a hotel nearby. My parents can't seem to stand each other anymore. She hasn't visited me this year, so she's coming into town because I asked if I could see her on her birthday."

WinWin nodded as I spoke. "I'm sure just you wanting to see her on her birthday is a gift on its own, but if you want to get her something a little more than what you're thinking, maybe a really nice necklace along with the mug and candle?"

I sighed, starting to pull WinWin along with me. "See, WinWin, this is why you were a great choice to bring along with me."