Chapter 32 : The Seal of Wisdom and Ignorance

Start from the beginning

“This is going to be quick at least I won't be wasting my time here.” he said to himself as he flew higher accelerating his climb as he started to notice he seemed no closer than he was minutes ago when he started his climb. Taking a deep breath he began his aerial climb once more noticing the walls of the spire finally began to close in on each other while the light became brighter as he closed in on it until it was a blinding white that didn't have a source. Marius could see nor sense any substance behind it and onward he flew through it as a black spot could be seen in the distance while his body was suddenly propelled to it. Folding his wings in he soared to the growing speck that was soon a small but growing oval that remained black in the distance. Marius affixed his eyes on his destination while he pulled his body in close trying to further accelerate to his target suddenly he felt a sense of unrelenting overwhelming terror that he could not explain. Trying to slow himself he tried to open his wings but his body was frozen looking ahead the black oval was now much closer as it enveloped him finding himself now able to move he pulled his body open and stopped his momentum. He looked around finding himself in what looked like a star filled night sky all around him he turned to his left and saw nothing but it was a terrifying nothing, no stars, no light, but not empty it had substance it was angry and hateful roaring silently as it approached in a rage that had no reason or purpose other than to destroy. Marius opened his wings and roared at the thing but nothing happened it continued at him its form staying in an inverted triangular shape slowly taking shape and form as it appear black but it shape was familiar though he couldn't place it as it reached out and slapped him hard sending him tumbling back. Sitting his body back up he sent a wave of fire at the thing charging as he did. The thing hissed loudly as the flames went through it as Marius charged in only to be clawed this time across the face forcing him to roar in pain. Snarling Marius looked back up and swiped his claw up again this time his claw connected and went through the creature as though it were a shadow with form and freedom. While it glared at him Marius looked back at the thing trying to contemplate what it was. The memories that had usually flooded his mind did not come this time, he now stood at a severe disadvantage looking at something that he not only didn't understand but couldn't even hurt. The black form roared loudly as it lunged at him again Marius leaped back and huffed heavily his telling him to run away from something he couldn't fight opening his wings Marius flew away as fast as he could, the next thing he heard was the roaring screech of it as it flew after him. Marius flapped his wings with angst, trying to distance himself from the thing behind him as it screeched in a painful high pitched cry that ran through Marius' body. The sound was like nothing he had ever heard it vibrated through his bones and into his ears causing him so much pain his vision blurred. Marius' eyes opened as he realized that he hadn't made it to the wall of the tower yet and couldn't tell when he would. Marius opened his mouth pulling as much magical energy as he could muster to his snout and sent a beam of magical energy out in front of him. The beam streaked out and struck the wall splitting it open and cracking the side of the wall. Flying hard at his target Marius felt a quick pull throwing him backward flying back behind the shadow like creature as it moved between Marius and the wall. The being sat staring at him its wings standing wide open as its eyes blazed red and flickered like a flame. It hissed at him and shortened its body looking as if it were leaning into an aggressive stance at Marius. He watched it carefully trying to figure out a way around it. Roaring loudly he turned and sent another magical blast in the opposite direction splitting open the wall on the other side and soared at it as quickly as he could. The black creature soared past him blocking his way once more. Marius was becoming frustrated he could see that the thing had no intention of leaving him alone but he noticed that each time he had turned the thing had ignored him completely to cover his escape. Formulating a new plan he put it into action, though he was unsure as to how successful it might be he thought it to be the best action for this moment. Turning halfway Marius sent another blast towards a space between the two holes that he had blasted through the walls. Making a third space now. The thing now flew to it blocking his path once more, seeing this Marius moved to his next step and blasted another hole into the wall of the tower leaving four holes in a diamond pattern in the top of the tower. Marius flew at the hole to his left watching as the creature continued to block his path out as he moved from one escape to another each time being blocked. Marius then turned as he had been doing, to the next exit watching the being fly at it while he instead continued to turn and flew at the previous exit from which he had been blocked. Flying at it as fast as his wings could move his body but alas to no avail his escape once again blocked as the thing was in front of the exit. Marius now realized that it had been moving with him but not at its full speed, it was much faster than he was. This was going to be a fight he had no choice now and no escape, that was now obvious to him. He had to do something to gain some kind of balance with this things speed. He had to think quickly, his options were low and his threat great. He didn't know how but somehow he knew he had to fight this thing and kill it. Lifting his head Marius roared and sent a jet of fire through the ceiling as it cracked and started splitting apart the top of the tower. Looking back at the creature the ceiling finally shattered large slabs of stone breaking off and falling down as Marius and the creature charged each other. After a few moments the two huffed and charged one another in the air.

  Their great wings flapped as they approached each other darting back and forth between the rubble falling around them. Marius roared and sent another blast of flame at the dark figure as it passed right through it. The dark shadow then slashed along his chest with its left claw, a spray of blood arced out from Marius’ chest as he reeled back and sent a blast of magical energy at it, this time it struck home actually hitting the thing and causing it to bellow a hateful cry unlike anything Marius had heard before. The thing reeled back and retreated back flapping its wings and glaring at Marius. Its eyes burned like fire it howled at Marius darting under the debris and came up under Marius for an attack, Marius had expected this and sent another blast down at the shadow. Marius’ reaction took it by surprise as it slid into one shadow and came out above Marius swooping down at him rolling into a heavy downward swipe with its tail and knocking Marius into a cloud of falling rock turning it into dust. The magical ball flew out of the dust cloud in a plume striking the shadow forcing it to howl in pain again while streaks and flashes of white ran along its body. Marius reared back and sent a jet of magical energy at the shadow, looking up it saw the incoming blast and flew up to dodge it. The thing flew into a mass of shadow and came out behind Marius once more. Its wings swinging wide blowing the dust free from its cloud and sending a dark blast of energy at Marius as he turned to face it striking him in his side causing an explosion of black and violet flames. Falling through the debris crashing into another large slab of ceiling that fell, cracking it as Marius picked himself up and charged at the shadow. The slab split into pieces breaking away as he charged a blast of magical energy in his snout. The shadow darted down at him its wings folded in disappearing into its mass of color. As the met face to face Marius let loose his magical blast sending it right through the shadow. The thing roared and howled as its body split and beams of light ripped through its body, before it erupted into a massive explosion of the purest white light Marius had ever seen. Marius shot through the cloud of dust and landed beside where Lamora and Kai’shin had been waiting and watching. The tower split down the middle cracking the stone as it began to crumble away  its seal at the base split as its power slowly seeped into Marius.

“Are you alright?” asked Kai’shin as he slowly walked up to Marius putting his hand on the hunters shoulder.

“I’m fine now,” he replied, “what was that thing?” Marius asked.

“I’m not sure but I doubt you’ll have to fight anything like that again.” Kai’shin replied.

“It’s good to see you’ve made it a step closer to becoming human again.” said Lamora as she walked up kissing Marius on the cheek.

“Yes, you’re one step closer to your goal of being human again Marius. The only thing standing in your way is the Dark Legion, and right now you’re more powerful than you’ve ever been before.” Said a voice from around the corner. The three of them turned and saw a figure in a dark cloak walk out from around the side of the tower. Kai’shin immediately drew his blades as his eyes exploded with energy as Lamora stepped in front of Marius her blades drawn as she took a defensive stance and glared at the new comer.

Taking the hood of his cloak off Trovun grinned slyly as he watched the group stare him down.