Chapter 2: A New Begining

The Hunters

Chapter 2: A New Beginning

A rage built in Marius. This is not what he asked for. He stared at the inhuman reflection in the drinking water. He couldn’t recognize his own new face. A great piercing pain started coming from his back. He leaned forward and roared as the pain continued and suddenly stopped. When he looked back at his reflection, he was amazed to see he now had wings and a long leather-like tail. Looking back at the reflection he saw that he now had a snout and four spikes coming out of his face, two from the back of his lower jaw and the other two just above the temples, all of which were going straight back. His eyes were blood red and his skin had become thick and hard, covered in green scales. His arms had large spikes coming out of his elbows and large claws at the end of each finger.

In the dark private chambers of Commander Lorvok, three men stood in a celebrative discussion drinking red wine.

"HAHAHAHAHA I would have loved to see the look on his face when he saw his reflection," laughed Selvak, "it would have been priceless!"

"Just as long as we can control this new form of his, the last thing we need is another powerful enemy. The Guilds of Order are amassing their armies now that we have declared war. He had better be all of what you claimed he'd be Norik!" said Lorvok.

Walking out of the shadows, a slender man stood wearing a black robe with small red emblems on it. "He will be. That and more, however, I still get the feeling that you two have underestimated him. If that is true, this could blow up in all our faces and all of our lives will thrown in the flames. Not just you, my master will have my head for your failure, so do not force us to regret this!” said Norik "We have vested too much interest in this to have it blow up in our faces!"

The conversation had gone from light and amusing to serious and threatening. The men stared at each other, each knowing what sacrifices they had made and were going to have to make.

"Look he was over-rated. He's nothing but a foot soldier. He’s doesn’t even know about para-humans, so don't worry about him being anything more than that." said Selvak.

"And, as I recall, you’re nothing but a wizard that doesn't go anywhere near enemy territory." stated Norik.

"Stop bickering!" yelled Lorvok, "What's done is done and nothing will change that! All we can do now is wait and see if he accepts what he is now or if he'll become the monster we want him to become. Either way, he is ours now!"

Marius snorted loudly and began to stretch his wings, as he did the soreness he felt within them soon left. His anger now fueled his rage and after walking back up the staircase. He let out a loud roar that bellowed from his belly, the vibrations of it shook the fortress to its very foundation. He then busted down the door with a powerful punch. As he entered the throne room the guards attacked their former clansman, but to no avail. Their swords did nothing except break apart against this new skin. He picked up one by the neck throwing him through a nearby window while his tail grabbed the other guard’s foot and sent the other one flying into the ceiling. The doors to the main hallway opened as the guards charged for the kill. Marius instinctively opened his mouth without thinking, and an intense fire poured from his mouth covering the many guards in flames. He walked towards the officers chambers leaving half the fortress guard dead in his wake; he smirked as he listened to the body of the second guard fall out of the ceiling and crash to the floor. Two guards waited for him as he neared his destination Lorvok’s quarters.

"This is your only chance," said Marius "I suggest you take it, now LEAVE!"

"The 'ell with you and your suggestions, I'm s'orn to protect these 'er doors and 'ur not getting past 'em!" said the first guard watching the second guard run in horror.

"Good," said Marius turning and engulfing the second guard in a fireball "I wasn't looking for a cowards head to hand to Lorvok and as for that suggestion, I would have killed you anyway"

The guard screamed in horror as his head and spine was ripped from his body. Marius stormed into Lorvok chambers with the head of the faithful guard.

Marius roared, "I WANT SOME ANSWERS, NOW!"

He looked into the eyes of Lorvok, he wanted to rip him apart limb from limb but he knew that wouldn't change anything. He looked back down into his hand and smiled then tossed the guard’s head into Lorvok’s lap.

"Unless you want to end up like that I suggest you start giving me some answers!" demanded Marius.

"But you haven't asked any questions yet." taunted Selvak with a grin on his face, “I already know what your questions are so I'll go ahead and answer them. To begin I’ll tell you that we don’t know every power that you have, but, I can tell you about what you are and what powers we know that you have. First, you are no longer human; don't worry though, you can return to your human form, but as of now, you are a being known as a 'hunter' an ancient being made from magical spells and the blood of a dragon, gargoyle, and a man. Second you have the abilities of all three; you can breathe flame, and fly. Your skin including your wings, are invulnerable to all normal weapons, and of course your strength, speed, and agility have increased dramatically. Finally why? Why not? We need powerful creatures like you to lead our armies against the Guilds of Order, now that we've declared war on them. You my friend are our newest general para-human ranks of the Dark Legions, and before you make any rash decisions, you have what you asked for." Finishing his speech he stared at the creature in front of him knowing what would have to be done if necessary.

Pausing in a moment of silence, Marius considered his options. "Give me three days." saying that, Marius opened his wings and flew straight out of the ceiling.