Turnabout Breakdown, Part 4

Start from the beginning

"We'll have to go into the courtroom soon... I wonder if KJ is working today," Yuri said. She began to glance around the room, searching wildly for someone.

"KJ?" I echoed in curiosity. "Who's KJ?"

"KJ Jett is a bailiff-to-be here. He was Venus' boyfriend back when she was still alive. He's in college right now to be a bailiff, but for work experience, he helps out here when he gets the time to," Yuri explained. "He's got purple hair, so he sticks out like a sore thumb even if he's a bit on the short side."

"I don't think that you can really call him short, Yuri," Chrysalis smirked, rubbing Yuri's hair with one gloved hand. "You're not very vertically gifted."

"Says you! You're only three inches taller than I am, Chrysalis!" Yuri cried out. She crossed her arms in a huff after smacking Chrysalis' hand away. Chrysalis responded with a light giggle as she did her best to restore Yuri's tresses to their former glory.

"Yuri!"

When we turned around, we were met with a boy with purple hair standing behind us. His eyes were a bright blue. His purple hair flopped over his right eye (though it was on my left side). He had a black bailiff uniform on with a golden pin on his collar and bright blue tie that faded out to gray and then white. He had a navy blue hat with black accents on that looked like the sort of hat a police officer would wear.

"I'm glad to see that you're okay... The trial is about to start. You stay safe in there, okay?" the boy asked. I assumed that this was the KJ Jett figure that Yuri had mentioned earlier.

"Thanks, KJ. Stay out of trouble," Yuri smiled. KJ responded with a wink and a wave as he walked into the courtroom.

"That's our cue," I said. "Let's get on in there."

"We'll win this case for sure," Chrysalis nodded. "And Yuri will be home in no time flat."

"I know," Yuri replied, a hint of a smile still on her face. She seemed to be in a better mood now than she had been in when she arrived. "I know."

March 14

Courtroom No. 2

10:00 AM

Deirdre Brigit

I could feel my stomach doing flips as I walked into the courtroom. Up until this point, I had been doing well to keep my composure, but now that I was inside of the courtroom, I was more nervous than I ever had been. Knots formed in my core. This sure was stressful.

I decided to focus on the other things in the courtroom to alleviate my nervousness. I looked to Prosecutor Burke and Anton standing on the other side of the courtroom. Prosecutor Burke was smirking with one hand on her hip. Anton was looking down, holding a blanket around his shoulders as he stared at the desk like it was the most interesting thing in the world.

Chrysalis was shifting through the stack of paper that she had before her. Each sheet had notes and details of a different part of the case. She sure did take some serious notes when it came to court cases...

I looked to the judge next. He had piercing turquoise eyes and pale purple hair. It could have been mistaken for white depending on the lighting. He had the traditional gray robes that were worn by most judges. He had a turquoise tie on the front of his robe. A snowflake pin was beside his tie on one side. I wasn't entirely sure what was under the robe, but I figured that it didn't matter unless I saw him outside of the courtroom.

"You ready for this?" Chrysalis asked from my side, snapping me out of my daze.

"Y-Yeah," I said, nodding as if I knew what I was doing. I had been thinking before this that I'd be okay, that nothing would be able to shake me, but now that I was here, that all those eyes were on me...