Prologue

It was the summer before freshman year and me, my sister, and Charlie, our best friend, were supposed to be closer than ever since we were heading off to high school. Although it seemed Charlie and Jessica had other plans.

I woke up and got dressed and did my usual routine of braiding my long blonde curly hair in a french braid. When I was done I went to Jessica's room to tell her I was leaving. I saw her still in bed drooling all over her pillow and snoring ridiculously loud. I laughed to myself  at the sight.

I jogged over to the bed and jumped on it landing on my back. She quickly woke up in either shock or freight.

I smiled sweetly and said, "Good morning, sleeping beauty." Her eyes slit to glare at me and she grabbed her pillow underneath her head and threw it at my face.

"Is that any way to greet your baby sister?" I asked rhetorically. She stared at me for a moment then shook her head.

"Oh yes because seven minutes and thirty-two seconds makes you a baby." She stated sarcastically.

"Why of course it does my love." I said while tilting my head to the side and making my eyes wider to feign innocence. She grabbed for another pillow and threw it my way, but I quickly dodged it. I laughed and rolled on my side leaning my head on my hand so I could look up at her. She let out an annoyed breath and started playing with her hair. She did this often when she was bored. We were silent for a moment and I took the time to notice the differences between Jessica and I.

Although we were twins, we were fraternal, and other than our blonde hair coloring we looked nothing alike. Which is probably the only thing we have in common in the looks department even our skin coloring was a few shades different.

I always felt that Jessica was the pretty one of the two of us. She had more confidence and she always looked and acted so self assured. It was also no secret that she was the more favored by our mother. Our father has always tried to be a bit more discrete on whom his favorite of me, Jessica, and Sammy,our younger brother, was. However it was clear he favored me the most. Which was a shame for Sammy, but he never let on that he felt left out or loved any less. But that didn't stop me from treating him like my baby ever since I turned three and he was born.

Then there was me and Jessica who were closer than ever, well at least until a couple of weeks ago when she started to distance herself away and became very secretive. It was always Jessica and I up until Charlie moved in next door when we were five years old. Then it was the three of us and we were inseperable.

" So where are you headed this early in the morning?" She asked while still looking at her hair.

"I was going to get a smoothie and head over to Charlie's. Wanna come?" She tensed up for a moment then glanced down at me. 

"Actually I think Charlie's busy today."

"Really? He didn't mention that to me what's he doing?"

"Stuff." She replied quickly. I gave her a confused look and she started to fidget and get up from the bed. "You should probably get going, I know how you like to get there before a line starts to form." I nodded my head and got up.

"You're right, but I should call Charlie first to make sure everything's okay." I said grabbing my phone from my pocket.

"No." she snapped, I stared at her with wide eyes at her outburst. She noticed then said more calmly, "Charlie's doing football practice today. He texted me last night to tell you." I shot her another confused look. She noticed and said, "We were texting last night and his phone was dying so he said he'd text you tomorrow, guess he forgot."