I hurried to change into something that didn't have marinade on it and touched up my hair and makeup. I was walking back into the kitchen when the doorbell rang.

I hesitated a few seconds, not wanting Alex to think I'd been anxiously awaiting his arrival. I sauntered over to the door and when I opened it, I was not prepared for the sight before me.

There stood Alex in a London blue button-up and black slacks. The top three buttons were undone and a nice black tie hung somewhat loosely around his neck. The blue shirt brought out a different shade in his eyes that I hadn't before noticed. I guessed he was one of those people whose eyes appeared to change color depending on what they were wearing.

He looked absolutely amazing. His hair hung in wisps and I longed to run my fingers through it. He was leaning against the brick on the porch with one hand stuffed in his pocket and the other holding a small bouquet of pink and white roses. There was that same enthralling look in his eyes. I felt underdressed in my plaid shirt and jeans compared to him.

"You look beautiful," he said in a sweet voice, his eyes scanning up and down my frame. "May I come in?"

I was almost speechless, standing there, staring – practically gawking – at him.

"Please."

I moved out of the way and he stepped inside, stopping in the entryway while I shut the door.

"How did you know I love pink and white roses together?" I asked, unable to wipe the smile off my face when he handed them to me.

"I may or may not have asked Selena."

I rolled my eyes. "Y'all are sneaky. Seriously, though, thank you so much. They're beautiful."

He flashed me that dazzling smile and pecked my cheek. "Not as beautiful as you, Kate."

"Sneaky and cheesy." I pointed a finger at him.

"Do I smell wine?" Alex pursed his lips, looking around.

I nodded and started leading him to the kitchen. "Yeah. I like to cook with wine."

"Really?" he smiled. "So do I."

I felt like I'd earned a point on the board with his statement.

"If you want, you can go ahead and have a seat and I'll dish up dinner," I told him, gesturing to the table while I fetched a vase to put the roses in.

Alex smiled sweetly and shook his head, stepping closer to me. He pulled me into his arms and looked down at me with that hypnotic gaze.

"I'd rather help with dinner. Besides, you haven't kissed me yet and I'm terribly offended," he whispered jokingly, unable to hold back his dorky smile.

He leaned down and planted a deep, fervent kiss on my lips, tightening his hold around my waist. The kiss only lasted a few seconds, but I already felt out of breath when we pulled apart.

"Okay," I surrendered breathlessly. "You can help."

"Thank you," he smiled and pecked my cheek again, releasing me from his grasp and moving to inspect the food on the stove.

"I didn't know what you'd prefer, so I made both lemon pepper and barbecue chicken thighs, and mixed veggies," I told him, mentally crossing every finger I had in hopes that he would like what I made.

"It looks amazing," he smiled and my heart fluttered.

I retrieved two plates and Alex dished out the chicken while I dished out the veggies. He couldn't decide between the two types of chicken and grabbed one of each. Alex, being the casual type, opted for a root beer instead of wine or champagne like Jesse would have gone for. I didn't mind and decided a break from the alcohol at dinner actually sounded nice. I grabbed a Coke for myself.