Chapter nine

Somewhere along the line, they had lost sight of the dirt road. Their steps hadn't faltered however and they had forged on, guided by what little light the stars provided.

By the time she had realized they were off the road, they were too lost to find it again and she dreaded doubling back, in case there were units in pursuit. She knew there were, as no one in their right mind would allow monsters like her to roam free.

Survive.

Eyes glued to the dark mass ahead that she supposed was a mountain range, they continued on, never glancing back. Anywhere was fine as long as it was away from that place. From the cold cell and the colder manacles. Far away from despair and captivity.

Her breathing was wheezy, her calves burned and one look at the boy told her he wasn't faring any better. He was dragging his feet and panting hard, moving a lot slower than they had been earlier.

She glanced up at the starry sky, then at the horizon, the darkness refusing to give her any indication of what time it might be. She knew they had been walking for a while now, but couldn't be certain how long. Two hours? Three? Or was it just wishful thinking on her part and had it been less than one?

Regardless, she decided it was time for a break.

"Stop," she said, still unsettled by the coarseness of her voice.

The boy did as he was told, turning a questioning gaze to her. She indicated a rock nearby with a jerk of her head and understanding colored his features.

They sat down at the base of it, resting their backs against the cool surface. She noted that the cold seemed to bother him as little as it did her.

Bony fingers reached up to the pouch attached around his chest, fumbling with the zipper. He spread out their meager rations in front of them, a certain reverence to his gestures.

She greedily eyed the chocolate-covered raisins as the boy traced a hesitant finger over the waffle. His face was downcast and his expression hidden from her, but there was no mistaking the longing in the hesitant gesture. The raisins could wait.

"Open it," she kept her voice low but startled him nonetheless.

He turned to look at her with wide, hopeful eyes as her words sunk in. She encouraged him with a grimace-smile, prompting him to open the packaging. He tore the waffle into equal halves, handing her one with an unsure expression.

She stared at it, wondering how to go about holding it. If her ability worked on doors, walls, and people, there was no doubt that it would destroy food as well. The loud rumble of her stomach interrupted her thoughts.

Curling her fingers into fists, she awkwardly clasped her share between her phalanges, thrilled when it remained intact. She brought it to her lips, taking a tentative bite.

Her eyes closed in delight as the sweet taste filled her mouth. She couldn't remember the last time she had eaten something so incredible. In fact, she didn't think she had ever tasted anything quite as delicious.

It was over all too soon, leaving her to wistfully lick the back of her fingers. She wanted more! She noticed the boy hungrily staring at the rest of their food, his thoughts a mirror of her own.

They couldn't eat it now, however, as they were in the middle of nowhere with rations they could ill afford to eat in one go. The boy glanced her way when he heard her sigh, his face crumpling as he realized that they wouldn't be eating anymore.

He tucked the rest of their food away, taking a small sip from the water bottle before handing it to her. She held it the same way she had held the waffle, careful not to spill any of the precious liquid. This time again, they had to limit themselves to a couple of small sips.