Bastard

Galena’s hands shook. There was no seal, so she had no idea who had written her. She feared it was from an enemy, like her recent captor, or even worse, the Boltons or the Lannisters. She glanced at Tyrion adoringly. Not all Lannisters were bad, she thought.

She swore her heart stopped when she finally unrolled the scroll. She recognized the handwriting immediately. She paused, fighting back happy tears. After releasing a long, elated sigh, she began to read aloud.

“My Dearest Galena,

If this letter has made its way to you, Jon has found you, or even more likely, you have found him.

First and foremost, I hope you know how much I love you, and how much I yearn to see you again. I wish I could have been there for you; to raise you like a father should. I wish I could have been there during the wonderful times, and to help you through the tough times. I regret not being there to tease you about your first crush and your first kiss. It’s every father’s right to threaten the boy his daughter is interested in, especially when that boy is Theon Greyjoy.”

She cleared her throat at his name. She looked to Tyrion, who showed no judgement, but instead showed sympathy, realizing how much the memory of her first kiss must pain her now. She continued to read when he wisely chose to remain quiet.

“I know my Lord brother and Lady Catelyn raised you well, and I am so proud of the young woman you have become. You are fierce and brave, yet soft and sweet. You are smart in both your studies and life, and the memories of your wit and humor will always keep a smile on my heart. You, my sweetest girl, are more beautiful than I ever could have imagined a daughter of mine could be. Thank the gods you got most of your traits from your mother.

I want to tell you about your mother. Forewarning, this is going to come as a shock.”

She felt Tyrion gently rest his hand on her knee. She was overjoyed when she recognized her father’s handwriting, but now she didn't know what she felt. She was terrified to read on, but she did so anyway.

“I want you to know that your mother loved you as much as I do, maybe more if that’s even possible. Your mother was not a whore from Mole's Town, she was a seamstress from Wintertown. I would visit her often on my travels, and eventually, we fell in love. I loved her more than life itself. Sadly, you were only three months old when she passed away, and never truly got to know her. It was the saddest day of my life. Her name was Arianna Snow.

We soon realized that we couldn’t live without each other, but because of The Night's Watch, we knew there wasn’t much we could do. Your Uncle Ned knew how we felt about each other, and suggested the secret wedding. We knew how dangerous it was, but we didn’t care. We were wed in Winterfell under the godswood tree.

I had to return to Castle Black very shortly after, but we were with each other as much as possible, though I admit, it wasn’t nearly enough. When you were born, I knew I had to keep you safe, so I brought you to Winterfell for Ned and Catelyn to raise you as their own.

My darling daughter, please forgive me. I am sorry for the hardships you’ve had to endure during your life because of our lies, but I truly felt it would be the best option for you. I felt the lies would keep you safe. I knew my brother would not let anything happen to you.

Your given name is not Snow. You are not a bastard girl. Despite my involvement in The Night's Watch, you are Lady Galena Stark of Winterfell."

She dropped the letter, staring blankly at the parchment in her lap, her mouth slightly agape. She could feel her body heat rising at the shock her father just delivered. She wanted so badly to wrinkle the letter up into a tight ball and throw it over the cliff, to be rid of it forever, to be rid of the words that, for the first time in her life, made her feel betrayed by her father. She was angry and confused, and she was devastated.

She had so many thoughts running through her mind she couldn't keep them straight. What if people knew she was a true born Stark? She never would have had to endure the pain of being called a bastard all those years. She wouldn't have been overlooked over and over again because she was a bastard. People might have taken her more seriously if they had known the truth. More importantly, why didn't her father tell her the truth? She would have understood. She would have gladly kept the secret. She would have embraced the word bastard. That was what hurt her the most, the idea that he didn't trust her enough to tell her. He didn't trust her enough to tell her that her mother loved her dearly. She glanced down at the paper, tightening her grasp on it.

Tyrion gently placed his right hand over hers, and with his left forefinger and thumb, took hold of the letter. “I know you want to destroy this right now,” he said softly, “but you will regret it later.”

She nodded, allowing him take it from her. She knew he was right. Even though it brought on so many emotions at once, causing her to not know which way was up and which way was down, she couldn't destroy it. This letter might very well be the last thing she ever received from her father, the last time he could tell her that he loved her. She loved her father more than anything in the world, and as he said, he did what he did to protect his family. If people had known who she truly was, she never would have escaped Theon. He more than likely would have forced her to marry him in order to truly have Winterfell. She would have been forced to lay with him whenever he pleased for the rest of her life, and would have been expected to have his children. She cringed at the thought.

She blinked finally. “Can you finish reading it, please?” she croaked.

Tyrion nodded and did as she wished.

“I am truly sorry, Lena. I hope you understand, and can find it in your heart to forgive us.

My heart is always yours.

Your father,
Benjen Stark.”