2 ~ Before the Fact

I peered through the cracked door.

Annie was laying down on her bed, staring at the ceiling. Her expression was blank.

I knew she needed help, but I didn't know how to give it to her.

+++

"Dinner's ready," mom shouted upstairs.

I closed my laptop and began to head downstairs, but I stopped.

I went to Annie's room first and knocked.

"Please come eat—"

"I'm not hungry."

I sighed.

"Annie, I know you aren't hungry, but can you please eat one bite? Just for me?" I pleaded.

She slowly got up and came to the door. I smiled. This time, she actually agreed!

Instead of coming into the hallway, she grabbed the inner door handle.

"No." She closed the door in my face.

Tears started forming in my eyes. I quickly wiped them away and headed to the dining room.

"Mom?"

"Yes Hayley?"

"Annie really needs to go to the doctor," I said, sitting down at the table.

"She said to let her be," mom said, "so we will."

"You don't understand! She hasn't eaten in at least two days because you and dad haven't done anything!" I stormed up the stairs and into my room.

I threw myself onto my bed and tears streamed down my cheeks.

My own—Annie's own—parents wouldn't try to save their daughter. That's messed up.

If they could've saved Caleb, I'm telling you they would have. But Annie? This is terrible. I need an older sister, I can't lose her! I understand Caleb's was a physical health issue, but mental health can be so much worse. The voices pull you into a state of not thinking you're worth anything, and once you listen to them, it's not like you can just shut them out and be okay again. They don't go away, they just get worse.

Annie can't get anywhere without someone's help.