The Compound

Above me are the empty buildings that stand at the edge of the hole, and the sky. It is dark blue and starless. There is no moon.

"The hole", as we call it, is like a courtyard. A very dark courtyard, that is, with no lights but the glimmer that shines through the single glass window that we had just escaped through. Now that I think about it, it may have been nice if we would have turned that light off when we left, they may be suspicious now, but it is too late to go back. This is the commitment we're bound to now, and besides, if we didn't have that single light, we wouldn't even have a way to see The Hole and navigate our ways out of it.

"Keep moving" Chance whispered, clocking me out of my gaze.

I regained my focus and trekked forward. The only exit out of the compound was a narrow alleyway. That's where we were moving to. It was only a few steps before I was completely encaptured in the darkness that it held.

"Chance, are you coming?" I whispered after a few more steps. It seems unlike him to fall behind me of all people. This was his plan, after all, I would never pursue in something so risky alone.

Chance was coming. He almost stumbled over a stack of twigs, and was trying to get around them as quietly as possible. When escaping from the compound, there were 3 simple rules: Don't be heard, don't be seen, and don't get caught. This was harder than one may think, evidently, and caused the two of us a great deal of complications already, and all we'd done was escape our rooms.