Meeting The Neighbors

I stand on the front steps as my mother rings the doorbell. A man who looked to be in his thirties answered the door. "Mom, they're here!" He yells. He smiles and ushers us in. "I'm Jacob. I don't live here, usually. I'm just here to visit the family."

A tattoo-ed man with red hair walks in. Jerid?

Wait.....

Jacob's the brother Shane never talks about.

But wait.....

I live across from the Yaws? Hell yeah!

That means that.........

Shanemotherlovin'Dawsonliveshere!!!

Oh my gosh!

I snap out of my thoughts as Teresa walks in. "Hi, Dear," she says to my mom. "It's nice to meet you in person!" She turns to me. "You must be Valerie." She smiles.

"I prefer to be called 'Emmy.'" I, hiding my anger about my mother referring to me as Valerie, smile back.

"Well, Emmy, I hear you're twenty-two?"

"Yeah."

"My other son is actually around your age. He's just filming a video right now."

I nod my head.

"Oh, he's an actor?"

"He makes skits on YouTube."

My mom shakes her head. "How cool!" She nudges me. "You should do that. It's more productive than singing."

"Mom," I groan quietly.

"What? It's true. You don't sing for anyone."

Shane walks in with pink lips. "Hi," he greets us.

"Honey, you have pink lips!" Teresa says.

"My lipstick wouldn't come off fully." He sighs and turns to us. "I make YouTube videos with characters." He explains.

My mom shakes her head while slightly giggling.

"Can't you get it off?" Teresa asks.

"I've already tried water, of course."

I step forward. "Have you tried makeup wipes?"

"Umm, no."

I go through my bag and pull out my Victoria's Secret makeup remover wipes. "Try one of these. They remove my lipstick everytime."

He hesitates before taking them and walking away. He comes back with normal colored lips and hands the pack to me. "Thanks."

"This is Shane," Teresa says.

"So, how old are you all?" My mom asks.

"Shane's almost twenty-four, I'm fifty-three, Jacob's thirty-two, and Jerid's 27. (AN- Can't find his age!)"

"I'm 54, and Valerie--"

"Emmy!" I interrupt.

"Valerie is twenty-two." She says.

I shake my head. I hate that name!

"So what do you guys do for a living?" My mom asks as we sit down.

"Well, I work a small jobs for my friend. Shane makes videos, and Jerid's a rapper. Jacob works at a store in the mall."

"Well, I work at a paper company, and Valerie wants to be a singer, which I don't approve of. She hasn't sang in front of anyone. She's too scared." She laughs.

"Mom, I'm not scared." I groan.

"Then sing!"

I nod my head stubbornly. I ain't singin' fo' that ho.

Let me explain. When I get angry, I turn ghetto.

But I honestly never swear. If I do, it is not around my mother. She would kill me if she knew about it.