Keshava : The slayer of Keshi

It was the morning after the beautiful full moon night. After the performance of Raas Leela Krishna was sitting at the bank of river yamuna surrounded by Radhika and His Gopikas. Radhika and Gopis were very tired after dancing throughout the night where single night was equal to six months and the night was filled with pure love and devotion. They were enjoying the beautiful sunrise sitting at the bank of Yamuna river.

Krishna was lovingly talking to them when all of a sudden an unknown voice that sounded like a huge horse was heard.

Before few hours:-

Kansa standing on his balcony, boiling with rage and fear had started to reminisce the day of his sister's marriage and the words that were announced from sky. His eyebrows were furrowed, the prophecy seems to be coming near it's completion. Which demon should I send who is capable to kill my enemy. The name Keshi crossed his mind. Keshi was a powerful mystic demon, earth used to tremble under his feet, he had so much force in his jaws that he could easily crush anyone into dust. Kansa ordered him," Keshi, my reason of death- 8th son of my sister Devaki and Vasudev lives in Vrindavan, his name is Krishna, he wears a peacock feather and carries a flute,he is destined to kill me but before that happens I need you to kill him instead".

"Maharaja don't worry I'll make sure that this boy will no longer be the reason of your anguish",replied the demon. Kansa said,"Be warned! Powerful demons like Putna are dead by his hands. I wish for your success. Now go bring me good news if you stay alive". Keshi proud of his power charged towards his death.

Present :-

As Keshi galloped the earth cracked under his speed. He moved faster than the speed of thoughts. He came with full force, in the form of a giant horse, ready to kill Krishna with a blow from his head. Krishna instructed gopis to stand aside and stood in his way without any fear and a smirk on his face. At the end moment krishna stepped aside and Keshi drove his head right into the tree behind him. Krishna let out a hearty laugh making a gesture to come at him again. This time Keshi decided to trample him with his hooves but Krishna caught his leg in mid air and tossed him in the air. He fell on the ground with a loud thud. He tried it again and again but couldn't even make a scratch on Krishna,although several times he got wounded, he kept coming at him . Finally exhausted and tired he tried to crush him with jaws but Krishna easily grabbed his jaws. Keshi started to panic and tried to shove him off but all his efforts were futile. He gave his entire energy to close his mouth, Krishna then stuck his hand in the animal's mouth and extended his arm right into his belly and holded him until the demon could no longer breathe. His huge, scary lifeless body fell on the ground with eyes wide open filled with absolute terror.

As Keshi fell down and breathed his last a radiance started to emit from his body- " His soul finally came out of its body and appeared in the form of a human. The soul bowed in front of Krishna and paid obeisance. He then said, “Mighty Lord Krishna, my name is Kumuda. I was the servant of Lord Indra and used to carry his chhatra (Parasol/Umbrella).

To absolve himself of the sin of killing a brahman (sage) – Vritrasura, Lord Indra decided to perform Ashwamedha Yagna (Horse Sacrifice). The horse was magnificent and it ran at the speed of thought. I yearned to ride it and thus stole it and took it to Patal-loka (Nether World). I was caught by servants of Indra and produced before him. He cursed me to be a demon in a horse’s body. Today, Krishna, you have freed me from that curse. I respectfully offer you my obeisance”.

Saying this the soul embarked on the journey towards Vaikuntha (Heaven)."

That is how graceful and kind Lord Krishna is. He grants salvation to those who are killed by him. And protect his devotees from all kinds of danger.

As Krishna killed the demon Keshi the devas (demigods) started to shower flowers on him. They resided his name again and again as Keshava the name that he got after killing the demon Keshi.

After Keshi's death Kansa didn't have any more doubts about origin of Krishna and he knew that Krishna was too powerful too be killed on his own land. As Kansa was completely lost in his thoughts which were arising due to his fear from Krishna. That's when sage Narada again visited him. "Kansa," uttered Narada " what you are thinking is absolutely correct. You can't overpower Krishna by sending your demons. He is too powerful. You still have time. Surrender and ask for forgiveness. Spare his mother and father and there may be a chance he would spare your life. "

Kansa laughed evilly - " I found a way to kill that child. I will call for him here. There will be no body protecting him from me in Mathura because I rule here. "

Saying thus Kansa called for Akrura. Akrura was very faithful minister of Vasudeva ji , father of Krishna and head of Vrishnis. He was given the task to bring Krishna and Balrama to Mathura court.

Kansa had no idea that with Krishna's decision to accept Kansa's invitation the remaining days of Kansa life were numberd.

---------------------------------------------------------

The sequence of Keshi's death is mentioned as per Harivamsha according to which Keshi was the last demon sent by Kansa to kill Krishna. The fighting described though is as per Bhagvad purana.

By jayakkanha and AlexJackson712