Chapter Twenty Two - A Lass with Flames for Hair

Start from the beginning

I had no idea why he should want me shut away again.  I thought for a split second that it might be because he did not trust me as much as he claimed to and wanted to parlay with the captain of the ship still ramming our side without me present.  That thought vanished from my mind as quickly as his hand left my wrist and returned to it's placement upon the ship's wheel.  I could not dismiss his expression and his plea.  There was something heartfelt there hidden beneath the urgency but I thought I'd shown him my worth in such situations.  I'd not realised the seriousness of the situation though.  

The reality was that it was too late for me to venture elsewhere because as James turned away from me again, we both noticed that the one remaining ship had come alongside our starboard side, and there was a captain at it's helm.  As soon as I saw the hat I recognised the man.  The Viscount Townshend was a recent favourite of the king of England, and was a commissioned privateer who commanded a fleet of his own ships.  I'd not ever met him personally, but I knew him by reputation alone.  He was a scoundrel and a danger to all womenfolk, it was said.  Mick took pains to avoid such an untrustworthy character who was only enticed by that which could benefit himself.  I'd been told not long after I began sailing with Mick of the hat that the Viscount wore and it served as a warning to try to avoid the man if I could.  I'd never been entirely sure why it was such a danger for me to be near him because I did not consider myself a point of interest to a man like that.  I was too skinny, too pale, too red-headed to be of any interest to an Englishman.

"Commodore Norrington, you must forgive me for I did not recognise you!"  The clipped and precise tones were at odds with how the man had always fared in my imagination.  It was a swift reminder to me that station or rank in society was no measurement of a man's integrity.  "I was not aware that you were no longer captaining The Dauntless!  You must forgive my ignorance as we have been out of reach of the latest intrigues from London!"

In my mind I immediately had cause to wonder what would take such a character so far out at sea that he'd not hear of the sinking of The Dauntless so many months ago.  The Viscount was notorious upon the seas for short changing people and reneging on deals.  He was also well known for returning to England to present treasures and finds to his King whilst keeping the most valuable treasures for himself.  The king would not listen to reason though where the Viscount was concerned.  He thought him an amusing marvel that must be kept attached to the palace purse strings at all costs.  

"Indeed my Lord Townshend," James replied swiftly and I was surprised to hear his tone carefully void of any apprehension for I could feel the tension radiating off his shoulders as I stood behind him. "I now captain The Surgence under commission of Sir Malcolm Sidney."

"Sidney's in on the old treasure trade now is he?" the viscount cried.  "I never did think him to be such a risk taker!  Although I suppose in times of need we are all considerate of the risks, are we not Commodore?"

I was wondering where the conversation was going.  It was all pleasantness whereas a few moments before the Viscount had been ramming his ships into our sides.  I did not believe that he was unaware who captained The Surgence any more than it appeared James believed it.  Clearly the Viscount had some ulterior motive but I did not think it very likely that I'd ever be privy to it.  It would be a miracle if he'd even let James in on his secrets.

"You speak of times of need as if they are common place my lord, but you appear to have fared considerably well in the last few years," James surmised.  "You are now an entitled privateer, renowned for enriching the King's coffers.  Have you no desire to leave the seas behind and return to court?"

The Viscount chuckled mildly.  "You and Sir Sidney will both be aware of the fickleness of court Commodore.  I prefer to hedge my bets upon a life at sea where I am just beyond the reach of those who might tire of me."