Chapter Twenty-Four: Part Two

Another bolt of lightning rained down. Then another until finally, the entire area between them and Iris's forces had become an electrical field. Figures emerged from between the flashes of lightning, each one clad in armour and ready for battle.

They came! Gwen nearly slumped with relief, the ethereal armour glowing more brightly as hope bubbled up inside of her, threatening to burst out of her chest. She could see Asclepius and Lyka, accompanied by the rest of the Fifth Unit. Behind them was Mathis with the Third Unit, and on the other side, several other Regulations Force operatives she didn't recognize.

There must be hundreds of them, she thought, eyes growing wide when she saw that each of the High Council gods were there, as well. Zeus stood at the very centre of the throng, resplendent in gleaming white armour with a silk cape draped over one shoulder, a thunderbolt emblazoned across the back of it. He held a large broadsword in one hand, wisps of silver-blonde hair poking out from beneath his spiked helm.

As her gaze swept past the army of gods and operatives in front of her, Gwen's relief upon seeing them dampened. They were still outnumbered, the bulk of Iris and Reeves' army nearly double the size of their own.

Worse still, the platform was completely surrounded. How were they going to rescue Phenex with so many monsters standing in their way? The fact that Reeves was still up there with him didn't help matters, either, especially now that his shadows had formed a tight-knit circle around Phenex.

"Sorry we took so long." Gwen jumped, putting a hand to her chest as she whirled around to face the owner of the voice. Apollo nodded to her in greeting, his expression somber as he turned to Forneus. "We had to evacuate the mortals in the vicinity before things got further out of hand. Teams have been dispatched around the globe to deal with the rest of Iris's forces, but I fear we don't have the numbers to contain them all."

If Forneus had intended to reply, he didn't get the chance.

At a signal from Reeves, the Shade unleashing a blast of dark energy into the air, the enemy forces rushed forward. Gods and operatives alike barely managed to take up defensive positions before the monsters descended on them, the sounds of battle drowning out all else.

"Kill them all," Reeves roared from the front of the platform, lips pulling back in a snarl, "but I want the girl alive!"

Gwen swallowed against a fear-clogged throat, her unease growing as dozens of monsters turned their gazes on her, eyes of red and yellow burning brightly. If it hadn't been for the ethereal armour, she might have given in to the impulse to take off running.

Not that it would do me any good, she mused, mechanically taking a step backward. I'd be lucky if I made it six steps before they were on top of me.

"Get behind me," Forneus said, extending a hand in front of him.

Gwen did as instructed, stepping out from the protection of his arms and doubling back behind him. Reaching down, she pulled one of the blades from her hip, silently thanking Asclepius for having the foresight to give them to her.

Lightning arced from Forneus's fingertips, snapping and crackling. It lanced out, striking what seemed to be some sort of giant boar square in the chest, felling it instantly. Forneus released one bolt after another, the enemies dropping around them like flies, rending the air with their death cries.

Unfortunately, there were too many for Forneus alone to handle. For each one he took down, another six moved forward. The sound of their thundering steps sent powerful shockwaves through the pavement and into the soles of Gwen's feet, their beating wings creating gusts so strong that it kicked up a thick cloud of dust.