Chapter 1: Winthrop Manor

Katie:

"Axl," I grin at him laying with my head in his lap. He looks down at me on their old beat up sofa where we are lounging in his home. "I love you." I whisper to him like it's a dark secret. He grins a lazy smile at me. He runs his fingers through my hair and fanning it out over his lap onto the couch. My legs dangle over the side of the couch I keep fixing my skirt so not to flash anyone.

"I love you more." He murmurs back before bending down to kiss me.

"What do you think about what I mentioned earlier?" I ask him as I reach up to brush his hair out of his face. This shaggy haired boy desperately needs a haircut, but I don't think I want him to have one. "The pool?" I remind him. I sit up. "Please?" I give him my best puppy dog eyes.

"Hi kids." His mother greets walking through the door with his sister and brother.

"Hi Mrs. Heck." I greet her, "Axl and I were wondering if you all would like to-" Axl lunges at me and kisses me. Pushing me onto my back on their sofa. I melt into him wrapping my arms around his neck as his wander down my sides.

"Axl." His mother pulls him off me so we're just laying side by side, he won't let me sit up. "What were you going to say Katie?" She asks me.

"Axl and I are going to my family pool it's heated and indoors. It's a family event so I thought maybe you guys would come. Axl's meeting my parents and brothers tonight, he could use a bit of support. My sister likes him, but she can't seem to convince them he's a great guy."

"What kind of pool party?" Mrs. Heck asks.

"It's my family, my best friend's family, and if you guys will come yours too."

"We're not going to a party." Mr. Heck says walking in the door.

"My father has a free wet bar and dry bar at the pool." I tell Mr. Heck. "It would mean a lot if you guys would join us. My family might even approve of Axl if you guys came."

Baby lay on back and relax
Kick your pretty feet up on my dash
No need to go​ nowhere fast
Let's enjoy right here where we at

I answer my phone, "Hi Jesse." I grin resting my head on Axl's chest. "Still at the Heck's, Axl and I will be on the way soon though." I look up at him. He's got his lazy grin on his face as his fingers thread through my hair. "Will do, make sure Daddy doesn't have his riffle. Love you too big brother."

"Can we go Mom?" Sue begs. "Please!" She draws out the "Pl".

"I really can't Sue, I've got-"

"Frankie, we're going." Mr. Heck says.

"You're only saying that because they've got free beer."

"Frankie, when will we ever be able to afford to go somewhere with free beer?" He asks all though I can hear the 'hell yeah' in his answer. "Everyone dressed, we leave in five minutes."

"Do I have to go, I'm in the middle of my new book."

"Serif or Sans?" I ask Brick.

"I'll wait in the car." Brick picks up his book and heads out.

"I'll go get changed." Sue races off to her room.

"I can't believe you changed my ringtone, again." I tell Axl finally prying myself out of his arms. "Go get ready." I tell him. Mrs. Heck resigns to going a few minutes later. Axl sits up and I stand up stepping away making him stand up to catch up to me. "Axl Redford Heck before I dump you get up and get ready." I tell him. He finally sighs and goes to get changed. I roll my eyes. He returns with swim-shorts on and a holey t-shirt his Letterman in hand. He holds it out to me and I slip it on kissing his cheek with a smile. He smiles back and kisses my head.