Chapter 17: A Confession and A Wager

Začít od začátku

"Okay, then tell me why. And no bullshit."

"Well for one we work together, and if it didn't work out things would be awkward."

"Bullshit, things are already awkward. What else?"

"Two, I'm far to old for him. I'm twenty six and he's twenty."

"Yes, because Harry has never liked older women!" He sarcastically answers.

"It's not like you look like a 40 year old woman going after a teenager. You both look the same age. And age shouldn't matter anyway." He shakes his head at me.

"I'm not 'going after' anyone. And it matters to me."

"We both know that's not a legitimate reason, so bullshit on that as well."

I choose to ignore him, and continue on. "Three, I don't want to be in a relationship."

Louis sighs, contemplating everything I just told him. "You wanna know what I think?"

"Not really, but I'm guessing I'm going to hear it anyway."

"I think you're lying, not just to me, but to yourself as well."

He lets the thought sink in before going on. "Look I don't know what happened to make you so afraid of letting someone get close to you, but Harry won't hurt you. You know I'm right."

I don't answer him, looking down at my hands.

"Well looks like my time is up." He says getting up from the table.

"What?" I ask, before I hear the diner door chime once again.

Glancing at the door my heart literally falls out of my chest and rolls across the floor as I see Harry duck inside.

I squirm in my seat, contemplating on if I should just make a run for it.

I look at Louis, my eyes pleading him not to leave. He gives me a small smile before walking away, patting Harry on the shoulder as he passes him.

My eyes immediately drop back down to my hands as Harry sits down.

"Ava."

His voice is soft and sweet, I just want to go sit on his lap and wrap my arms around him.

"Ava, please look at me."

Don't look at him Ava! I try to force myself not to, but I can't. I look up, meeting his green eyes. Does he really need to look so damn good today?

"We need to talk about what happened."

I stare into his eyes. He is looking deep into mine, trying to read my thoughts as usual. I always feel so exposed when he looks at me this way. I hate it. He needs to not like me. It would make this so much easier.

"Ava, please talk to me."

After a few moments of silence, I finally find my voice, "There's nothing to talk about, nothing happened Harry."

"If Louis... If he hadn't knocked on the door... you would have let me kiss you."

"No."

Harry's sighs, then clears this throat. He looks like he's going to put up a fight, and I don't like it. I start fiddling with my hands on the table, looking around, trying to focus on anything but him.

"Ava, stop." Harry pleads with me before putting a hand on top of mine. My hand tingles where he touches me, and I just want to wrap my small one around his. I shake my head, ridding it of the thought. Stop this Ava!