aniMAY I have this dance?

"I stood by the food table awkwardly, having not wanted to be here in the first place. Louise had dragged me to prom even after I had said I didn't want to go. She had insisted on me coming with her and her boyfriend even though I didn't have anything to wear, and as a gay, that was a terrible crime. I didn't even have a green carnation to wear to let other gays know I was gay.

I ended up being forced out of bed and thrown into the backseat of a car in an anime shirt and cookie monster pyjama pants on. What a great friend, right?

Another song started and all the couples went out to dance. A few people were dancing with their friends. And then there were the people that just stayed pressed against the wall. Like me. And that super cute guy across the room whatthehell?

I recognized him as Phil, I'd spoken to him a few times. He liked to make stupid jokes and puns. He was popular and could probably get any girl he wanted. Why didn't he have a date? I shrugged it off and poured myself some punch, leaning against the cold wall. I looked up to see Phil approaching me.

As he got closer, I could see a flower in his suit pocket. A green carnation. My mouth dropped. The most attractive and popular guy in the school, was gay. I couldn't believe it. No, I wouldn't believe it. It was just a coincidence. He wouldn't know what that flower meant anyway.

Phil finally reached the wall where I was. "Hey, um, you're, uhhh, D-Dan, right?" he asked, fiddling with his hands and dropping his gaze. I couldn't help but to fondly smile. He was kinda cute actually. Especially when he was nervous. "Yeah. I'm Dan. And you're Phil, correct?"

Phil looked back up and smiled. "Yep. So, uh, you're handsome, do you, uhh, have a special lady tonight?" he asked, cringing immediately afterward. I snorted. And he had called me handsome. I am LiViNg!

Phil cocked his head to the side. "What's so funny?" Oh shit. Do I tell him? Now it was my turn to be flustered. "Uh, just the fact that you thought I would- well- uh, you- I- ugh. I'm gay." Phil smiled and nodded. "I see. That would explain it, huh?" I nodded.

I caught Louise's eye from where she was standing behind Phil. She gestured to Phil and winked. I rolled my eyes at her, turning back to Phil. "So, Phil, how about you? Do you have a girlfriend or anything?" He shook his head. "Actually no. I'm demisexual biromantic, but I lean more toward guys."

I nodded. "Well, it's good to see another community member here. There aren't many of them here. Mostly just allies."

He agreed and looked down at my clothing, smiling. "So cookie monster and anime, huh?" I mentally face palmed. Of course he had to ask about that. "Yeah, um, I didn't want to come, so I didn't buy a rainbow suit to wear, so then I wasn't prepared. I didn't paint my nails, I didn't get any rainbow makeup to put on, or anything, so I sat in my bed and watched anime in my pyjamas. Then Louise came over and forced me to get out of bed and come here, where I stood by the food table in my pyjamas. And still am."

Phil giggled. Oh my god his giGGLE WAS SO CUTE. I kinda wanted to die in this moment because I had a cute guy who just confirmed he was not straight looking at me and giggling and he had just called me handsome. So I'm having a pretty good night despite being in cookie monster pyjama pants.

A slow romantic song started playing and Phil leaned against the wall beside me, looking out at all the couples flocking to the dance floor together, hand in hand. I sighed. I wish I could have that. And that's when it happened.

Phil turned to me, his beautiful eyes glinting in the colourful lights above. He grabbed my hand gingerly, and said completely seriously, "aniMAY I have this dance?" I stared for a moment before bursting into laughter. "Of course, you spork," I replied, still laughing at his stupid self.

And then we danced together for the rest of the night. Let's just say Louise never shut up about that. Now Phil and I have been in a happy relationship for twenty-five years, and we have adopted three children together. Fiona Kathryn, 15, Danielle Michaela, 8, and Martyn Adrian, 2. They're all named after people. Isn't that crazy?"

"We know that, daddy! We are your kids!" the middle kid, Danielle, giggled. I smiled. Her giggle was just like her Papa's all those years ago. "Well, you're the ones that asked for the story, so if you didn't like it, then you shouldn't have asked, you little stinkers," I teased. The youngest, Martyn, stood up and toddled over to me. "Daddy, why did Papa ask you that?"

I scooped him up and dropped him in my lap. "Well, Marty, when a person is attracted to another person, then they do weird things sometimes. They can be more confused or reckless. But mostly, they can feel an aching in their chest. That's your heart, yearning for that certain person. And I think your Papa felt that, and that's why he asked." Marty yawned and pulled his knees to his chest.

"I think I know that feeling," the oldest, Fiona, whispered just loud enough for us to hear, looking up from her book. "O rly?" Danielle yelled, jumping on the couch over to Fiona. Then Phil came in from the kitchen with 'his signature dish'. Ice cream sundaes. The kids all crowded around Phil, grabbing a bowl and running. I smiled, looking out over the life that we had created. It was beautiful. And yeah, it was extremely chaotic. But I wouldn't change it for the world.

Question. Would it be biscuit monster in England instead of cookie monster or is it the same everywhere? I'm very deep.

hhhhh it's 12:45 and I need to sleep. And yes, they did name their first child after Shrek, fuck off mate they're fucking memes. But still subtle memes. Cuz Fiona can be a normal name, I guess. I dunno, all I can think about is Shrek.