She was about to reply but stopped when she saw Jake walking to his seat. He was looking down so she couldn’t see his face. But he looked tired the way he slumped on his seat. He put his head down on the desk. She hadn’t seen him sad before. He was always smiling whenever she looked at him. But now he looked as if he had lost a battle.

A few minutes passed as she debated whether to ask him about this or not. Cameron waved his hand in front of her face to gain her attention.

“Hello?” He said poking a finger on her shoulder.

“Do you know what’s up with him?” she quickly asked him in a low voice.

Cameron looked surprised by her question but he managed to say, “No. But why are you so worried, huh?”

“Okay everybody settle down.” Mrs. Bennett’s voice startled her. She hadn’t notice her teacher coming in.Everyone cursed around her as they glared at the boy who had delivered the wrong information.  They unwillingly settled in their seats.

Jake looked like he was sleeping on his desk. The teacher was giving her regular lectures and any moment she would notice him sleeping in the class. To save him from trouble she leaned and tapped his back.

“Jake! Bennett is here. Wake up.” She whispered. He instantly shot up and rubbed his eyes. He straightened his back as he tried to get his attention to the class.

The boring class began. Some students were looking around the class with disinterest evident on their faces. Some were writing down every freaking word the teacher said and some were sleeping with their eyes open. Ally was in the middle. She would write down anything she considered important and occasionally her eyes would roam around the class.

The bell finally rang ending her misery. She packed her stuff and headed towards the door.

A soft hand held her wrist and she turned around to see Cameron smiling at her. “What?” she asked as she looked at his hand wrapped around her tiny wrist and back at him.

“You didn’t answer my question.” He stated looking bored. He let go of her wrist.

“I wasn’t jealous, Miller. Get over it.” She said folding her arms across her chest. Many students looked at them suspiciously but she ignored them. Of course people would think why in the world he was talking to her.

“Keep telling yourself that.” She sighed and turned around. He was clearly living in his own world. He must think that the whole world revolves around him.

She moved a step forward but again he held her wrist and yanked her back, this time with more force and authority.

“What the hell?”

“Are you coming to Ryan’s party on Friday?” He ignored her question. The class was empty now. They were alone and she didn’t like the feeling she would get when they were alone.

He let go of her wrist and casually sat on teacher’s desk.

“What’s the party for?”

“In celebration of our first win this season. Our first game is this Friday.”

“I doubt that you’re going to win.” Their school’s basketball team wasn’t the best. They managed to win a few games but could never bring a trophy. This Friday game was with an average team like her school. So she figured it would be a close one.

“Don’t worry about that. We will win. After all I’m the captain now.” He said with confidence. She had watched him play before and she was ashamed to admit that he played really well. But basketball was a team game. His leadership skill cannot ensure that they were going to win.

“And you have to come to the party.” He added. She thought about it and decided that it would be the perfect time to take her revenge for his stupid prank.

“Okay.” She nodded her head in agreement.

“Wow. That easy! I thought I had to beg or something.”

“I’m not such a bore to miss parties.” She said. ‘Anything to stay away from home’ she wanted to add but she couldn’t.

He chuckled. “Are you coming to the game?”

“Sorry I don’t want to see our team lose.” Not many people attended basketball games since for the last 3 years their team was not wining many games. She liked watching and playing basketball but she wasn’t in favor of watching their team lose. But everyone had hoped their team would do better this season since Cameron was voted the captain.

“We won’t. Later.” He jumped up from the desk and chuckled as he went out past her. She did the same figuring out that he had basketball practice or something.

She was moving towards her locker when Jake called her from behind. She froze in her way. Taking a deep breath, she nervously turned around to see he was keeping books in his locker.

“Yeah?” she asked unsure of what to say. He looked better now although his face was still dull.

She bit her lip not wanting to say anything stupid in front of him. She kept her eyes on his shirt not on him. She was sure her heart would fail if she looked at his handsome face.

“I just wanted to say thank you for saving my ass back there.” He said finally turning to look at her. Her heart fluttered when he looked at her. Her mouth parted in awe as she admired his features.

“Hey? You ok?” he said waving his hand in front of her face. She broke away from her trance.

Oh fuck he must’ve noticed she was checking him out. What a way to embarrass yourself in front of your crush.

“Yes. I…ugh… Your welcome.” She stuttered. Something happened to her whenever she talked to him. She felt awfully nervous in front of him.

She felt embarrassed because he had laughed at her. But his laugh was the cutest sound ever.

“I’m sorry to hear about your break-up.” She blurted out without contemplating. From all the things she had to say to keep up the conversation she chose this. ‘How fucking stupid of you, Ally.’ She cursed herself internally. His smile  vanished and he averted his eyes. She definitely touched a soft spot.

“So everyone knows about it?” he said more to himself. His face was back to the way she had seen him in class. Depressed.

“It’s okay. You would get someone better.” She had an urge to comfort him. To hug him and tell him that she would never hurt him like that.

“I highly doubt that. Anyways, I’ll see you tomorrow then?” he asked looking up. He faked a smile.

“Yeah. Bye.” She said and turned around to move to her locker. She felt her heart getting heavier in her chest. An uneasy feeling was creeping in her stomach.

Why couldn’t he see her? It hurt to see him like this and it hurt even more to know that he would never look at her the way she looked at him. Even if she had convinced her heart she would never fall in love, she was ready to take a chance for him. It took a lot to admit that she liked Jake but now she felt everything was vain. She felt like giving up again.

But somewhere in her heart a hope was still alive. A hope he would he would like her back. She wasn’t really willing to give up on him. He was worth a shot. A shot that she was hoping will not break her heart.

---

A/N: Hi guys! I am sorry i know it’s been two weeks since the last update. But I was really busy and tired. So if you like this please tell me what you think. If I get votes and comments faster I would feel motivated to update faster. I am sorry for any mistakes because I don’t really edit. But I will edit once I finish this story.

Suspense filled chapter, right? Also today’s the fifa world cup final. I am supporting Germany!! Who are you rooting for? Woohooo I am so excited. You all can comment whatever the hell you think about my story. Good or bad. I don’t mind. And pm me if you wanna talk or anything. Thanks for reading! Later.