Chapter 14: Voyage

The journey wasn't too long, or at least not long enough that you became tired of being on the boat. In fact, the journey was surprisingly peaceful, it gave you time to think about what you were going to do once you stopped.

   While the boat gently swayed, making its way to dock, you concluded that your first move would be to find a horse. You tried to think past that, to plan what you would do once you had a horse, but you couldn't bring yourself to mull it over. You supposed that you would simply ride until you found a place that looked interesting to you, a place that you may not be found by those too intent on keeping a watchful eye over you.

   You realised, as you decided not to think about your plans, that you had been forgoing thinking about things increasingly so lately. How many times now had you decided that it wasn't the time to think about something? Perhaps it was time you gave them a moment of thought, as you stood watching the waves the boat left in its wake, before they slipped too far from your mind and lost any hope of being thought about, or even resolved.

   Perhaps the questions weighing most on your mind over the past days focused on your mother. Throughout your childhood you had come to accept the mysteries surrounding your life with her, constant curiosity and confusion coming to be replaced by a reluctant acceptance. Even in the time following her death you had blindly accepted her passing - her murder - as just a result of her mysterious life that you would never receive an answer for. But why? Why should you be complacent, and not be given an explanation for her murder? Somebody had taken her from you, and as much as you could resent her for putting herself in that danger, whoever had done it was to blame.

   You needed to know more about what your mother had done, what her 'work' entailed. You had a distinct feeling that answering that question may also answer questions about your father, why he had been kept away, why your mother feared his finding you. Thinking back to her letter to Teodora, you wondered if William could answer your questions. Mother feared that he would find me, tell me things that would turn me against her. He must know something about it. That, however, could put you in danger. If Teodora and your mother had such a distrust of the man, it must be warranted.

   You sighed, folding your arms and resting on the taffrail of the boat. Was William as bad as they had made out? Your hair swayed with the bitter breeze, sending a shiver through you as you mulled it over. Could you really pass judgement on this man based on what others thought of him? It would certainly be unfair to do so. There was no guarantee that you would ever see him again following your swift departure, yet if you did you supposed it may be worth giving him a chance to explain, allowing you to pass your own judgement. Should I see him again, I will give him a chance to explain himself. It is only fair.

   You reached to untie your small purse from where it hung at your waist, and held it gently between your palms, staring at the pale brown fabric. Your only keepsake, the only thing that you kept on your person at all times. In fact, the only thing you had brought with you besides your coin purse and the clothes on your back. I must make sure that I have enough coin for somewhere to stay, and clothing. With the thought crept a feeling of uncertainty. Was this a mistake? No, you were certain that leaving Venezia was the right decision. A little more planning may have been a wise idea though, time to pack some clothes, plan a destination.

   Staring at the purse you thought of Ezio. This man, your friend – could you even call him that? You had not seen the man in two years, and yet a part of you wanted desperately to call him a friend. You had laughed together over a shared loss, over thoughts of a future that could never come to be, he had helped you, looked out for you and yet you had pushed him away because of a few words from Teodora. Did he even consider you a friend? If he would consider me a friend after all I have done, he would be a fool. Then, a thought occurred to you. Teodora wanted me to avoid him as he is like my mother – in the same work, a similar life. He must have answers! You looked to the coast of Venezia, now barely visible on the horizon. He was back there, with the answers you sought, abandoned to deal with Teodora and William, with no knowledge of where you were or where you were going.