xxi. broken promises [ part one ].

*✲゚*。⋆ 𝐂𝐀𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐇𝐀 *✲゚*。⋆
[ xxi. chapter twenty one; broken promises: part one. ]

☸︎

        Elle's nerves were eating her alive

        Elle's nerves were eating her alive. In fact, she felt like she was being choked. Ollie sat beside her backstage, waiting for the orchestra to finish their performance. Diana sat on her other side, checking the time on her phone. The three girls watched as Julian stepped into the area, peeking out of the curtain. Elle stood, pulling him back so that the audience wouldn't see him and get distracted by the musicians.

"We're almost up," he whispered, looking at Elle, "can I talk to you?"

"Um, okay." Elle shrugged, following him out. She gave Diana and Ollie a panicked look before disappearing behind another curtain. They sent her weak smiles, their expressions saying 'You'll be okay.' Elle hoped she'd be okay.

"Look, Elle," the boy began, "I really wanted to tell you this before, but Diana told me you were with someone." Not anymore. "Now that you aren't, I just wanted to tell you that I like you. These past weeks we've been practicing have really brought us closer, Elle." He stepped closer to her, but the girl was frozen, unable to move. "I think you like me, too. But you're trying to ignore those feelings by going out with someone else."

Elle was breathing heavily. "No, it's not like that. Look, Julian, you're a really nice guy and anyone would be lucky to date you. But I–"

"You said it yourself, Elle." Julian grabbed her hands, his grip like iron. "So, what are we waiting for?"

Elle shook her head, trying to free her hands. She glared at him, an icy hatred resting upon her face. His face was moving in closer, and before she knew it, he was kissing her. Elle tried to take her hands away, but he was too strong. The girl pulled away from him, a look of disbelief on her face. "Nothing, okay? Just because you like me does not make me instantly like you. Get over it, we have a dance to do, and frankly, I'm starting to regret not denying the offer."

Julian's eyes became chips of ice, releasing Elle's hands harshly. "Fine. No wonder that poor guy wanted to end things with you."

The words struck a chord in Elle's heart. Her fists clenched and she just needed to hit something to blow off the steam. She walked around, trying to keep as quiet as possible. There was something in her mind screaming at her to look up, so she did.

        There stood the one and only Marcel Ruiz, a heart wrenching expression taking over his face. Isabella and Ana stood behind him, all three staring at her. And then he just left, but she couldn't follow him, as much as she wanted to.

        Ana opened her car door, breathing in deeply. Her car was parked in front of a building with a sign that said "San Diego Performing Arts Academy." Isabella got out of the passenger seat, followed by Marcel. She could tell something was bothering him ever since a week after he and Elle had begun dating. The two girls had wanted to ask him about it, but they knew he wouldn't tell him.

        Ana acted like a tour guide, even putting on her best touristy voice. "And here we have the Performance Hall. In other words, the auditorium." She laughed at herself, stopping short when Isabella gave her a look with raised brows. "Okay, sorry. Elle said she'd gotten us reserved seats in the front. She pulled the 'famous' card and threatened the principal's kid. Wow, Elle's really aggressive sometimes." Ana looked at Marcel, winking.

Marcel rolled his eyes, pulling his hood over his head. "Can we not talk about Elle, please?"

Ana and Isabella were confused. Was this really the same guy? The one who spent all his free time on FaceTime with her, who talked about her nonstop. Isabella finally caught on to his behavior. "Why? Did something happen?"

But he played it off. He was an actor, after all. "No, I'm just feeling nervous. You know, it's a couple thing, so I wouldn't expect you guys to know."

Ana scoffed, entering the auditorium. "Okay, ouch. But we're a catch, both of us. We just haven't met the right person yet."

"Yeah, idiot," Isabella mumbled.

"Can we see Elle before the show starts?" Marcel asked hopefully. "I just want to talk to her."

"Yeah, we can sneak backstage," Ana said, "but we have to be quiet."

Ana lead them through a hallway, looking back constantly to make sure neither of them were lost. The blue–haired girl opened another door, one with "BACKSTAGE" printed in bold red letters. "I think this is it."

"Really, what gave that away?" Marcel commented sarcastically. "The fact that you know where it is or the sign that literally says 'Backstage' in big letters?"

He walked through, not bothering to wait for them. Ana was taken aback by his sudden attitude, and she could tell Isabella was too. He was usually so sweet, but now he wasn't and they didn't know why. "What's up with him?"

"I don't know," Isabella said with worry, "but it's not good."

         They went through the door, closing it softly. There they saw him standing still, completely still. They walked over to him, gasping when they saw what he was seeing. In front of the trio, Elle was speaking to another guy, someone unknown. She wasn't moving, which is what confused Ana the most. Normally, Elle wouldn't have stayed around like that unless it was important. So maybe it was important, but Ana knew Elle, and Elle did not look like she wanted to be there.

        And then they kissed. Ana could only look at Marcel, whose eyes glossed over with tears for a split second. They went away, his expression becoming cold and blank. Elle pulled away harshly, as if he was forcing her to do so. He said something to her, and left quickly. Elle was angry, that much was obvious. She began to walk around in a silent rage. Her fists were clenched, a sure sign she was beyond mad. Her dark eyes looked up, at them. Instant regret flooded her, and then heartbreak.

        Because Marcel was already gone, and there was nothing Elle could do.

☸︎

idk bout u but that was really bad and i made new covers which look like actual shit but that's fine :)