Eleven

There are only certain times when I lost control of my thoughts completely.

Like now, without  Ruth or Heinrich.

One was captured, the other one was wounded. As if someone cut my both hands.

My soldiers wanted to leave or to fight once they heard about their comrades. Well, rather for Heinrich.

 I was mounting my horse, ready for my night cart when I felt a presence behind the tree of which I tied Darrell's reigns. The steed snorted moving his ears back and forth.

 I stepped silently closer to the tree. Then I got myself in front of ...well, looking down, it was a little girl.

She seemed frightened, but not lost.

 I knelt in front of her and did my best not to make her run.

 " What are you doing here, child?"

 "Sir," she started whispering " where can I find the general? "

 I couldn't help but smiling, which drew her attention, and her eyes widened. I guess there were my teeth. I wasn't a very handsome man on my 36 years, but I never knew that her eyes would remind me that. Especially now.

 "He's standing in front of you" I answered, and she left a sigh of relief. "What is your name, child?" 

No, I was curious.

 "I am Eleanor.  Sir, a woman wanted me to bring you a message."

My senses got alerted. The only woman who could manage now to send me messages was Ruth.

 "Is she alright?" I asked her before anything else. She nodded. Good, I said in my mind.

 "What is her message?"

 She looked around before she could report:

"She said that you must not go to the British camp, because you must not be caught. She said she won't blame you if something happens to her and that your life is more important."

 I nodded. Eleanor bitten her lips and started to play with her fingers. And she blushed when she saw my questioning eyes.

"What else did she say?" I asked touching her fingers. She got red.

"She...said...shelovesyou" mumbled Eleanor, then hided her face in her hands.

 "Don't cry, child" I said taking her in my arms, patting her back.

 "I'm not crying" she murmured still hidden in my arms.

  "Sir, I know where she is." She pointed leaving my arms.

"But she said she doesn't want me to get there" I chuckled.

The girl stared in confusion.

 That reminded me about the children back in Hesse. I used to play with them when I was not training or working.

 I was seriously lost in my thoughts, 'cause little Eleanor grabbed my sleeve.

 "Sir?"

 "Mm?"

"Mmm?"

"Uh, we shall see where she is. But first we have to take some big boys with us, ja?"

"Aren't you big enough?" She asked surprised. My jaw dropped, then I burst into a laugh.

"Aren't there in your camp bigger soldiers?" I asked her.

She looked troubled. "No, not all of them."

"You come with me then" I said then took her hand and leaded her to my tent. "Stay here, I'll be back soon." She nodded. Good child.