"The shadows hold power," the soft voice whispered, "power that matches many. This power can destroy you, but it can also keep you warm.

"And, besides, you're bold, aren't you?"

"Shadows keeping you warm? Isn't that a little contradicting?" I voiced, and the voice laughed gently.

"Romera?"

"Look at you, six years old and already know such big words," the voice cooed, "I do suppose they are a little different. But not all shadows are bad. Just, be safe, my dove."

"Hey, Romera!"

I was suddenly pulled out of my thoughts to West, who had clicked his fingers in my face. He stood looking at me bemused, and I grinned sheepishly.

"I-I'm sorry," I stuttered, and he laughed.

"Did you hear anything I just said?"

I blushed, "Erm, no. But, I am willing to go with you, If that makes up for it."

As we walked the familiar path to the run-down, abandoned house, a thought struck me.

"West,' I slowly began, "last night, when I dropped you off, did you see anything?"

He looked at me confused, "What?"

"Like, did you see anything following me on my way home?" I corrected, but he still shook his head.

"No? Was I supposed to?"

Maybe I had imagined it? I couldn't have been blamed, with it being dark. I could have just been confused. And yet, it had felt so real.

I shrugged off the uneasy feeling that came from both the empty streets and his lack of knowledge. We arrived at the house, taking the usual route around the side of the empty house and ducking under the gate. As we neared the edge of the forest, I felt a knot form in my stomach.

"Y-you know, maybe this wasn't the best idea?" I stammered, but West looked determined.

He didn't look at me, instead focusing on the forest. "What, scared, Caster?"

I pushed away my fear. "In your dreams, Castle."

Still, I grabbed his arm as we neared the forest. In the darkness, the branches seemed for intimidating, and I found myself involuntarily shrinking back at the outstretched shapes.

"Where did she say she would meet you again?" I asked West to ignore my fear.

"Erm, I don't know. Someplace in the forest. We'll find it," he assured me after I gave him a look of terror.

Taking a deep breath, we stepped into the forest. I had never been in Baniar Woods in the dark before. I pulled tighter my hoodie around me, glad I had chosen it, and made sure my hair covered my neck. It was cold, somehow, and I resisted the urge to shiver.

Around every corner, there was only more darkness, the moon our only source of light. We became walking to the center of the forest, or what felt like it.

"I don't like the silence," I admitted, feeling uncomfortable, "Have you got any stories?"

"Only scary ones," West said, and I shook my head.

"Okay then, have you met the new girl?" I asked him, and he nodded quickly.

He rolled his eyes, "Of course I have. All day I've been hearing stuff about it. People say she's, like, skipped a year of school."

"Huh." My brow furrowed, and we crossed over a stream.

Once again, we fell silent. Only the faint sound of leaves crushing under our shoes, and a quiet bird in the distance, could be heard. For a moment, I found myself not minding the silence. That was until, however, a low growl was heard. My heart immediately quickened, and I grabbed West's arm.

"Did you hear that?" I cried, "Oh, god, please tell me you heard that."

He stopped walking, drawing me into a tight embrace. I was enveloped in his comforting scent, and I closed my eyes in a desperate attempt to block out the world. Thoughts of what happened last night, whether it was real or fake, still haunted me, and I wasn't ready to face it once more.

"Whatever it was, it won't hurt you. Who knows, maybe it was some little bunny?"

We knew it wasn't a bunny when a huge creature appeared in front of us. It was terrifying, to say the least. At least seven feet tall, it had large, long limbs, and his face held scars that brought shivers down my spine. Two horns protruded from its head, and cold, yellow eyes illuminated in the dark. The eyes reminded me of the blue ones, however, while those had been filled with curiosity, these held hatred.

A scream tore at my throat, and I hastily turned to run in the opposite direction, West in pursuit. The creature leapt lithely after us, with the strength of a beast. There wasn't a competition. My arm was yanked harshly backward, and I let out a distressed yelp as my body was pulled back. My face was inches apart for the creature's, and I could feel it's hot, harsh breath on my cheek as I desperately searched for an escape.

"Romera!" West shrieked, and I looked over at him to see him debating whether to leave for help or stay to help. I made up his mind for him.

"West!" I called, "Run, run as fast as you can. I'll be fine, get help!"

He nodded shortly, and I returned my fearful gaze to the creature.

"How heroic," he hissed softly, his voice as harsh and gears grinding against each other. "And a descendant of Morgana, perfect."

"I-I don't know what you're talking about!" I stammered, trying to escape the hold.

He let out what was supposed to be a laugh, but sounded more like a lowly hiss.

"You," he growled, "have been sought-after by many for centuries. The child of the sorcerer, the offspring that will bring the Eternal Night once in a way no hunter will ever be able to stop."

"Eternal Night?" I echoed, "Look, I have no-"

"Be quiet, child!" He roared, and I flinched.

Somehow, he reminded me of my father. The thought almost made me want to laugh. Comparing my father to a terrifying beast. And yet, I wouldn't be able to take it back.

"Just because your blood goes back centuries, doesn't mean I won't spill any now!"

When I didn't reply, he continued in his terrifyingly soft voice.

"Great things have been planned for you, my Queen, many great things. You, as Morgana's sole heir, will rule both the Darklands and the soon Eternal Night!"

"I-I don't know what that means!" I cried, as tears began to form in my eyes.

I wasn't ready to die, no less at the hands of a monster. All thoughts of how I looked were thrown out the window, as I sobbed. I clawed my arms outward, desperately trying to escape the grasp.

"Mum? Are you going to die?"

"My dove, everyone will die at some point in their lives. Mine is just a little sooner." A gentle smile, a soft voice.

"I said silence! For, until you unlock your powers, I am your superior!"

"The doctors say you won't get any better."

"My dove," warm hands, "even if I do not live, I will always be with you."

The grip tightened around my throat, my heart feeling like it would leap out of my chest. Black spots began appearing in my vision, as I struggled out of the grasp.

"When I die, will I be with you?"

"Forever, and ever."

Words: 1851
Hope you enjoyed :)