Chapter 10

Nadja gasped.

"Did they leave a ransom note or anything?" Erwin's expression was cold, calculating.

"No. There's nothing there. Just my parents'...bodies." It looked like Hanji was about to start crying again.

Levi clenched his fists. No. This wasn't supposed to happen. What was going on? Something felt off about this.

"Anyways," she seemed to find her voice again, "it seems that they want me to come right away. Mainly because it is my family, but also because they want me to look at the crime scene. Maybe there would be some kind of clue that I would recognize, personally."

"I get it. Grab some food and you can leave. After you assess the situation, send me a message on how long you think that you'll be gone. I'd like to have an estimate of when to expect you back."

"Thank you, Erwin. Really, thank you."

"No problem. This is something that you need to solve. Family matters are important."

"I'm coming with you, Captain Hanji!" Nadja exclaimed.

"What? No. You can't come. You need to stay here and train. This is a personal matter. I don't want you to get involved."

"No. You're my captain. I have a right to come with you. Someone has to make sure that you don't do anything reckless." She crossed her arms defiantly.

"I'll be fine."

"Actually, I think that is a good idea," Erwin interrupted. "You need to have someone to watch your back. The people, or person, who killed your parents and kidnapped your brother might come back for you. Having someone by your side would be a good safety precaution."

Hanji huffed. "Fine. But you have to follow all my orders and don't complain about it."

"Yes, Captain!" She saluted.

"I'm coming too." He took a step forward, making them remember that he was there.

"Levi, why would you come?" Nadja looked at him with surprise.

"What happened to your family, so soon after my visit, can't be a coincidence. I have to see it for myself."

"What are you saying? That you might have something to do with what happened? That it might partly be your fault?" Hanji's eyes widened.

He nodded.

"What are you thinking? Do you want me to slap you again? Why must you always find a way to blame any tragedy as your fault?"

He stood there, frozen. What could he say to that? "Just...just let me come. I need to see this."

Maybe it was the urgency in his voice or the pleading in his eyes or the fact that she knew that he'd stubbornly follow after her if he had to, but she sighed. "You can come on the condition that you'll do exactly what I tell you."

"Fine. If I must."

"Alright then. Erwin, we'll be grabbing some food and then we'll leave. If I don't get a chance to talk to the other rookies, just have them continue their training. They can start practicing some team maneuvers together. Nadja and Levi will have to catch up when they get back. Hopefully, we won't be gone long."

"Understood." Erwin nodded.

Hanji turned to them. "Let's go."

They used their vertical maneuvering equipment to head towards the edge of the forest. Once there, they found their horses waiting for them. Hastily, they settled themselves in their saddles and road towards the barracks.