Spin the Bottle

"Bev, remind me again why you're taking me to this party?" Eddie rolled his eyes as he readjusted his seating in the front of Mike's truck that he managed to squeeze into along with Beverly.

"Becauseee Eds, school's about to start and you should socialize and get to know at least some of the kids here before school starts and after being gone for so long. And it's Richie Tozier's party, he's pretty popular. You remember him, right?" Beverly asked.

"Yeah, from like fifth grade. He made way too many dick jokes." Eddie shook his head, recalling the boy with glasses.

And 'Eds?' Beverly hadn't called him that before, but it sounded awfully familiar. 

Eddie had moved back to his hometown of Derry, Maine, after leaving for five years to another city for his mother's job. And here he was, weeks after the move, being dragged him to some kid he barely remembered's back-to-school house party.  

In all honesty, Eddie was totally fine with having just Mike, Ben, Beverly, Bill, and Stan as friends. He didn't need anyone else, nor did he wish to "socialize." He was lucky they remembered him, and glad they were so welcoming upon his return. He'd missed them a lot, and was determined to keep them.  

"You guys were friends, weren't you?" Beverly asked.

"I mean, we didn't really talk too much."

"Wait a minute," Beverly paused to let out a laugh. "Didn't - didn't you have a crush on him?"

"Whoa, really?!" Mike interjected, smiling and turning to face them from his seat in front of the wheel.

"Bev!" Eddie shrieked before lowering his tone. "That was like, six years ago. He probably looks and acts completely different now."

"You'd be surprised," Beverly giggled. "Anyways, Bill, Stan, Ben should be joining us in a bit if you  can't get a hold of me or Mike."

Eddie sighed as they pulled up to the house, hearing Hungry Like the Wolf play.

Mike and Beverly exited the truck, Eddie following suit. They crossed the lawn and Beverly rung the doorbell only to have it swing open seconds later.

"Well if it isn't my favorite firecracker! And my boy Mike!" A dark haired boy greeted the two with quick hugs as they greeted him with a "hey, Richie!"

So that's him, Eddie thought. He still maintained his dorky look with the big glasses and godawful Hawaiian shirts, but somehow was shockingly good looking. If he didn't have a real crush on him in fifth grade, he sure did now.

"Who's the cutie you brought along?" Richie motioned to the shorter boy behind them, causing Eddie to blush a bit.

"That's Eddie. Eddie Kaspbrak. Do you remember him?" Beverly smiled as she saw the recognition suddenly spark in his wide eyes.

"Holy shit," Richie breathed, taking in the sight of the boy he hadn't seen in six years. He'd matured but was adorable still with his chestnut hair and shorts much too short for a straight boy, and honestly attractive. 

"Huh?" Eddie asked, not hearing him over the music. 

"I said where have you been, Eds?" 

Eddie didn't think that was what he's asked, but didn't question it. "I, uh, had to move for my mom's job, but I'm back now."

"And don't call me Eds," he added, though he very much liked the nickname. It was Richie, after all, who'd made it just for him all those years ago.

"Well fuck, dude, come inside!" Richie widened his arms and welcomed them in.

Ew, ew, ew, Eddie thought as he took in his surroundings. Why would anyone think it's fun to dance and drink then get all sweaty and be all over each other?