Chapter 5

"I thought you said that you don't own a car," he pulls into the street and stops in the front of her house. "And that your father wasn't home?"
"Shoot," she drops her hand and leans forward in the seat. "I guess... I'm doomed if he's back. Ichiji... can I ask you a favor? Can you just drive a little down the road and I can get out and walk back, if he knows that I-"
"I get it, your dad's protective, I'm not a bad person. I think your dad will like me," he smiles at her and she feels guilty. He's the first person to be this nice to her in a long time, but that's her own fault.
"No, Ichiji, you don't. My dad isn't protective. He's possessive, even if I brought home a female friend, he'd kill me," she brushes another strand behind her ear.
"You consider me as a friend?" he turns his head to look at her; he has to admit that she's beautiful.
"T-that's not-" she lets out a sigh as her eyes look at the door. "It's too late anyway... he's already seen us... if you want to come... let's go..."
She gets out of the car and walks across the street to her house, the door open and her father standing in the doorway. She stops halfway down the walkway and casts a look back to Ichiji who's just now crossing the street and locking the doors to his car.
He holds up his backpack and sends a smile to her father, "You can borrow my notes without this, can we?"
She shakes her head as he joins her side and they make it to the door, "Hi dad, I had a bit of trouble at school and missed out on a few notes... so Ichiji came to-"
He just walks away without saying anything, so she shows Ichiji into the living room. Her father and his friends in the dinning room making loud, probably drinking. She drags her bag over to the coffee table and pulls out her books, "Sorry about them."
He shakes his head before he leans closer, "I don't think your dad is happy that I'm here to help you."
"My dad is never happy," she grabs her pencil as he hands her his notebook. "But we can't talk about that when he's in there. Even if they are being loud."
  He nods and picks at the carpeted floor, "So have you seen that new movie? The one that's supposed to be really funny?"
"I haven't seen any movies in a movie theater all my life," she she writes down all the words he wrote on the pages.
  "Then, maybe I can take you sometime?" he laughs as she shakes her head. "I know, I know. You want me to stay away from you, transfer out of your class, and move on with my life."
  Her hand stops as she remembers the encounter, "I'm sorry about that... I was just-"
  "Trying to keep a secret?" he moves closer beside her, so close that they're legs touch. He whispers to her. "I understand, you were just trying to protect yourself. I don't mind as long as there's no more secrets between us. I want to be your friend, I really do."
  He moves to the spot in front of her as he hears her father coming into the room and he works on his homework. They sit in silence for a few minutes, her father sending daggers into Ichiji's head before going back to the dinning room.
  She ends up nodding, "Sure. We can be friends, I mean, we can try. But it's been so long that I don't know if I can even be someone who can have friends..."
  "That's great news!" he speaks louder than he should've and bursts out laughing. "S-sorry, I just... I've never had a friend either."
  "Really? That's hard to believe with..." she smiles and gives him one of his notebooks back. "How you are and everything."
  "You mean how I act?" he laughs again. "That's probably why I don't have any friends."
  She tilts her head as he places the book in his backpack, "What do you mean by that?"
  "Exactly what I said," he scratches the back oh his head as he stands up. "I think I need to get home now. You can keep those notebooks until tomorrow, there isn't homework in those classes. I'll see you at school, (Y/n)."
He leaves, and as the door closes she starts to feel sad and anxious. She doesn't know why she told him that she'd love for him to be her friend, but she does know one thing. Until her father yells at her for bringing him home, she'll be living her life in fear of death.
She finishes off her homework and copying all of his notes before she heads off to bed. She crawls under the covers and pulls the warmth over her whole body. Soon, sleep falls over her and she has a good dream. A dream about her living her life happily without any of the day-to-day problems that she deals with every day.
Ichiji sits outside her house and he tries to understand why he told her that he never had any friends. He's not supposed to be projecting that kind of image, but quite the opposite. He's supposed to have her trust him, and if he's never had friends, how can she?
He beats on the steering wheel before he pulls away. His eyes locked onto the house in the distance, on the hill; the house no one ever goes to–his house. When he gets there, he locks his car doors and walks through the door. It's all black inside, so he flicks the light on and wanders around.
He opens up the door of the refrigerator and grabs a water bottle. He leans against the doors and unloads his backpack, getting ready to work on his homework. Thoughts run around in his mind as he tries to desperately finish this math problem, but the events that just occurred wouldn't let him.
He ends up surrendering and just going to bed, since no one's home, he just falls asleep. He'll just take a zero or something. If he lies, maybe they'll let him turn it in late. Maybe. But he doesn't care about school, he just doesn't want to fail this job, if he does... his father will actually murder him.

=^End^=