selfishness

selfishness. it makes people do some pretty messed up things.

and no, I'm not talking about the kind of selfishness where people do nothing but talk about themselves when the chance arises, or who always one-up people by bragging about their accomplishments; I'd say that's more so cockiness.

the kind of selfishness I'm talking about is the kind where people hurt others for personal benefit. the kind where people value money more than relationships, and their satisfaction more than other people's mental health.

for the past couple years or so (unfortunately the situation has lasted this long), I've witnessed the many effects that selfishness can have on a variety of people within a family. this selfishness started with one person being selfish in regards to money, influencing their partner to be selfish in regards to people-pleasing, and causing the rest of the family to be selfish in regards to their dignity.

hurt. hurt is all that has come out of it, and in many different forms. the money hungry people have made other people work their butts off to provide for themselves, the people-pleasing partner has turned their backs on family members in order to keep their partner content, and the rest of the family has had to choose a side and completely reject the other. that certainly isn't what a family is supposed to look like, is it?

it may sound confusing without detail, but I'll spare you the drama and just say this:

stop. hurting. others. for your own sake.

if you can happily say you're provided for in all aspects of your life, don't jump at the opportunity of getting more than what you already have without considering the negative possibilities.

be kind, show people love, be grateful for what you have, and don't sacrifice other people's feelings for your own; instead, do the opposite when you're feeling generous.

your lives are important, but so are other people's.

a wise man once said: money doesn't buy happiness. and seriously, it might make for a really nice vacation, but at the end of the day genuine relationships with friends and family are the only sources of happiness that last.