Chapter 5 - Fish and Bait

Beginne am Anfang

"Well, shit," Seth breathed. He had kept quiet through the whole exchange, shrinking into an invisible ball on the seat next to mine. That was his modus operandi around Mr. White these days, most likely due to his extended stay in detention last year, which had cost him his internet privileges for a month. ("I missed the most epic seance yesterday, Nao. I can't take this anymore...") He'd been meek around our teacher ever since, and that meant I was the only one challenging his authority these days.

"Talking back to Mr. White, huh?" Seth breathed. I nodded numbly in response. "Guess you're picking up some tricks from your new friend, the delinquent."

The project report William gave me sat on my desk in front of me, glaring accusingly up at me. The letters were a bit blurred and hard to read, but it remained empty. I had yet to fill it out because filling it out entailed meeting up with Axel, and meeting up with Axel meant trouble, exhaustion, and possibly breaking the law. I just did not have the energy to spare.

Seth leaned back in his chair and whistled a short tune. Now that Mr. White had disappeared, he was back to his usual lively self. "Impressive," he intoned and nodded approvingly. His newly acquired earring dangled from his lobe, and he drew his bushy eyebrows into a frown.

"Wait," he said. "Isn't that report due on like... Sunday?" He leaned forward and jabbed a finger at the paper on my desk. I followed it with my eyes.

"Due date: September 9th."

"Shit," I swore, heart rate rising, immediately recalling that today was the 7th. 

I would have worked myself into a frenzy if I wasn't interrupted by a violent slap to the back of my head. I yelped in both pain and surprise, before turning around and facing William for the second time that week. The project report was crumpled in my hand as I watched our class representative, curiosity piqued.

William was balancing a pile of books in his arms and seemed to be smelling something very foul if his facial expression was any indication. He clutched one of the classroom dictionaries in his fist - words were his weapon of choice, as per usual - and he was sweating profusely.

"I believe you have a visitor," he spat. William didn't move his head, or any other muscle for that matter, but his eyes flickered nervously. He was watching something behind me, and the subject made sweat trickle down his neck, wetting the collar of his ironed shirt.

He finally moved towards me, leaned in and opened his mouth to hiss: "Get him out of our classroom."

I knew who was standing in the doorway long before I turned around.

"So you're meeting with Axel?"

"Yep."

"Alone?"

"Affirmative."

"To work on the project? With Axel? Alone? In his apartment? Nao, are you insane?"

I let out a groan and slapped Seth across the shoulder.