Chapter 16: Kimberley

Start from the beginning

                “Please, call me Logan.”  Logan protests putting a hand up.  Ms. Lu perks one eyebrow and leans forward on her desk.  She doesn’t look too thrilled about calling him Logan. 

                “Mr. Logan,” he heaves a sigh, hating the word mister, and she straightens her specs on her face.  “Your . . .” he gestures to me with her hand.  A confused look on her face tells me she is still having trouble of what to call me.  I’m not Logan’s daughter but he is like my brother in a way. 

                “Kimberley brought this knife to school and was trying to hide it during our drug check. She also punched a boy named Drake in the face and tripped two police officers.  This kind of behavior we do not tolerate here, but we can discuss that later.  Right now I would like to figure out the truth of why she brought this weapon to school.”

                “I told you, I brought it by mistake when I was in the kitchen practicing for the demon part for the play I’m auditioning for.” I burst out hoping Logan got it all. 

                “What play?”  Ms. Lu asks.  I think of all the possible names for a good horror play with demon in it.  I finally come up with one. 

                “The Demon Strikes at Midnight.”   I say hoping for no more questions about the made up play. 

                “What’s it about?”  Ms. Lu asks shattering my chances of getting out of this.  Again I think of something real quick to get the lie out.  Hopefully Logan is listening.

                “It’s about a family, and they move to a new house.  They are all happy except the youngest boy.  He is sad to see his friends and his school go.  That night when the mom is putting the little boy and his older sister to sleep the news is on and it is saying a murder is on the loose called the demon.  He wears a mask and holds knives in his boots.  I was practicing being the demon and accidentally left my knife in my boot.  I thought I could hide it in my locker but when I heard we were having the drug test I freaked and pretended to go to the bathroom to get it before anyone found it.  I truly was not planning to hurt anyone, I swear to God, I didn’t mean any harm.”

                Ms. Lu’s face softens a little but I know Logan’s hardened.  He will kill me when I get home.  “Alright, it’s okay Kimberley, but there will still have to be punishment for you behaving wildly like that to the cops and Drake.”  She turns to Logan folding her hands.  “I believe a two week detention will suffice, or we can have a week suspension, you may decide.”

                Logan sighs and thinks for a minute, then sighs, “She will do the two week detention, I think that will be good, on one condition.”

                Ms. Lu perks her eyebrows in surprise but let’s, him continue.  “She will have to do her homework while she’s in there.”

“No, I can’t allow it.”  She says moving some papers on her desk.