III Lord of Autumn

Cailean waited until Eithne had fallen asleep. He let go of her hand, leaned over, lightly holding the top of her head, and kissed her forehead. "Goodbye, Eithne." We part ways once more.

He retrieved his burning lamp and his rucksack, taking care that its many trinkets would not make the slightest sound. He looked back at Eithne, for what may well have been for the last time, until finally he closed the door behind him.

On the table where his copper lamp had lain, in its place stood a parting gift: Two fireflies contained within a wooden cage.

~~~~

The withered wheat stalks rustled, crisp and sharp, as the winds gathered among them, obscuring the lone figure waiting in their midst.

Within a clearing Cailean sat upon a rock, and though the winds flowed throughout the landscape, his fiery lamp remained burning, a slender trace of smoke trailing from his pipe. The gusts blew around him, save the spot where he was, for having the winds do his bidding was one of his many perks.

A shadowy form entered the clearing, its black cloak thrashing with the windy chaos.

"I've beckoned the winds to shield us from onlookers," said Cailean. "No one will see us here. You may show your face."

The newcomer loosened the tall collars of his cloak, revealing a face of a man with fair and chiseled features, eyes and hair both jet-black.

Cailean leaned back and smiled. "Greetings, brother."

Beside Cailean, the fire in the lamp hissed. Almost like a growl.

"I take it you are in no mood for pleasantries. Perhaps some smoke to lift your spirit?" Cailean held up his iron pipe.

The cloaked figure, who stood as tall and wide as a tree, made no remark in response. The lamp fire growled once more.

"Shame," said Cailean, and huffed on his pipe.

The Lord of Summer's voice was deep and stern. "I wish I can say that I'm surprised."

Cailean tilted his head to the side, eyebrow raised.

"We have been through circumstances far dire, indeed, mostly still by your doing. Though I was afraid you'd let a drought ensue into a famine this time. It would appear that way, had she not revealed herself."

"Don't tell me the chase has tired you. That is not very like you." Cailean tapped his pipe on the rock surface.

"I should say the same. This mischief is unbecoming of an eldest. Do the consequences of your actions not matter, to you?"

"As far as the Council is concerned, this is your fault as it is mine. You did not make well enough of your pursuit, apparently. Now here we are."

Again the flame hissed, and in the Summer Lord's black eyes appeared fiery red specks, glowing.

Nonchalantly Cailean tapped his pipe, shedding the last of the ashes it had contained, and buried it in his rucksack. He then brought out the wine the farmer had offered him. "You certainly took your time. I've been here for hours." He removed the cork from its mouth.

A crackle erupted from the flame, then it grew into an erratic blaze. The copper lamp, being enchanted, sat unaffected even as it appeared to be consumed. The nearby stalks, which were not as fortunate, crumpled. They withered to ashes as the heat rose, yielding to the Summer Lord's silent temper.

Cailean was invulnerable to the Summer Lord's element, but the stifling air and scorching temperature were exceedingly unpleasant. He waited for his brother's mood to settle, digging through his rucksack for a glass.