Chapter 4 - Skipping Along

Start from the beginning

                “Talon, is there any possible way for me to communicate with you while you’re in dragon form?” I questioned, looking up at him. Once again he was shirtless, and I noticed the end of his tattoo peeking over his shoulder. He smiled brightly at me.

                “Of course there is. Just accept me into your head when you feel a slight nudging, like knocking almost. I can do it in human form too. But be warned, once you let me in, you’ll never get rid of me.” Talon said, winking. “I’ll do it tomorrow at school.” He said gleefully, smiling brightly. I smiled back and leaned in to hug him when –

                “WAKE UP ASHLYN!!!!” Layton shouted in my ear. I groaned and checked the time. Holy cow! I’d slept right through my alarm. I groaned again as I got up, then rushed to get ready for school. When I was showered, dressed, and had my hair and makeup done, I took a look in the mirror. I was wearing a cute gray pleated mini skirt, dark grey tights, knee high tan boots, and a white turtleneck shirt. I  chose to let my hair down and for once, I  was extremely proud of my  eyes, showing both of Talon’s halves. I grinned as Layton walked up next to me, checker herself out in a pair of dark wash skinny jeans, black boots, and grey off the shoulder top. Layton had also opted to let her hair down, and she smiled cheekily at me and handed me my backpack and phone.

                “Thanks Lynnie! Alright, off to school!” I declared, and Layton mock saluted me, then walked out the front door, my helmet tucked under her arm. I chuckled, grabbed my sunglasses off the counter, then told my mom I loved her before following Layton outside. I walked up to my baby to see Layton waiting impatiently, helmet already on her head as she tapped her foot. I laughed, then slid onto my bike, sunglasses already on.  Layton followed suit, and before I even knew it, we were pulling into my usual parking spot, Layton’s bug still here from yesterday. Layton hopped off and tore the helmet off her head, squealing in delight.

                “Man I have got to get me one of those they’re so….” She trailed off, her mouth literally dropping open and making a small popping noise as she stared passed me, her eyes widening ever so slightly.

                “Uhm, Lynnie, are you ok?” I asked, concerned for my best friend. She just nodded in response, then lifted her hand and pointed over my shoulder. Following her finger, I found what, or actually who it was that she was staring at, and bust out laughing. As if he could hear me amidst the group of giggling girls around him, Talon turned and smiled at me, then started walking my way. I smiled at him, then turned back to look at Lynnie, who was staring down at me since I was still on my busa. “What?” I questioned, humor clear in my tone.

                “Do you know that perfect specimen of the male population that is smiling and walking this way?!” She asked accusingly, poking me in the face. I laughed outright. My best friend was such a freak at times. Seriously, who says things like that? I shook my head, smiling at her, and was opening my mouth to answer her when Talon cut in.

                “Ashlyn, nice ride.” Talon said, an appreciative glint in his eyes as he looked my baby over. I slid off her and smiled up at him, wondering when he was going to enter my head today. “And you might be…?” Talon asked, gesturing over to Layton. I nodded and she smiled politely, her eyes flashing between the two of us, sensing that something was going on.

                “Layton this is Talon, Talon this is Layton.” I stated matter of factly. I felt a strange sensation in my head and frowned, wondering what it was. Talon and Layton were deep in a conversation about… something, I honestly was too focused on this feeling to know what they were talking about. I felt someone poke me slightly and looked up to see Talon with his eyebrows raised. Layton was nowhere in sight, so I assumed it was safe to ask dragon related questions.

                “Talon, is that you nudging at my brain?” I questioned curiously. He just nodded, a slight smile on his lip. “How do I let you in? Do I just think ‘come on in!’ and you will, or what?” I asked incredulously. Talon really laughed at that, earning a few strange glances from people walking past us. I just shrugged it off. People have been giving me strange looks my whole life, it’s not like anything had changed. Except, you know, I’m a dragon’s Flame and whatnot. I wonder if I can at least tell Layton and my mom about this whole situation? I never asked Talon about that. Maybe I should…

                “ASHLYN!” Talon shouted causing me to jump, and people’s heads to instantly turn to look at us.

                “Dude! Shut up! Why’d you have to go and yell at me like that?” I whispered, looking at Talon like he was crazy. He sighed. Shook his head, and chuckled lowly. “What?” I asked, slightly annoyed.

                “You completely zoned out on me, babe.” He stated, winking at me. I blushed furiously and muttered under my breath about being called ‘babe’. I was not a pig. Acting like a child, I stood there glaring at the ground. I heard talon sigh, then he put his hand under my chin, gently forcing me to look up at him. “Look Ashlyn, why don’t we skip today, yeah? We can get to know each other so you won’t be so freaked out by my ‘advances’.  I will make them, and quite often, too. You are mine, after all.” He stated, whispering the last part so just I could hear him. I sighed, how could I resist an offer like that.

                I really wasn’t too fond on making a habit out of skipping school, but I was in my last year of high school and far ahead of my peers. I grinned up at Talon, excited by the prospect of spending eight hours straight with him. Wow I sounded like a love sick freak, I thought bitterly.

                “Only on one condition.” I said. Talon just raised his eyebrows at me, and I smiled devilishly back at him. “I get to drive!” I shouted, jumping onto my busa, tossing the helmet over my shoulder, hoping like hell he caught it. Today was going to be fun.