Rebekah's Confession

Rebekah sighed in contentment, her head lazing on his shoulder as she traced the pattern of his tattoo. "Does it have meaning?" She found herself asking, still tracing the edges.

"It's a map." He tells her, brushing his fingers through her long golden hair.

"A map? What treasure does it lead to?"

"A cure." He answers and her hand stills, "A cure to what?"

"Vampirism." For a moment she is frozen, then she lifts her head to look into his face. "Is there really such a thing? Is there really a way to cure vampirism?" Her palm is flat against his chest, right over a large piece of tattoo.

"Yes." He smiles up at her as she pushed herself up to a more upright sitting position.

"How do you know that it's real? How do you know that it will work?" she asks, feeling like her dead heart is pounding in her chest.

"I am a hunter, Rebekah. Have a little faith." He chuckled at his nervous looking fiancé. "Why are you so curious about this cure?"

Biting her lip, she slid away, sitting with her legs dangling off the foot of the bed, her hair curtaining around her face as she looked away. "Alexander." She murmurs, "I have something I should tell you."

"What is it, Rebekah? Is something wrong my love?" he questions, moving to sit behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist.

"Yes." He looked down to her hands. "I-I" she takes a breath, "You're going to hate me." She shrinks in on herself, shying away from his touch. She cannot escape it however, as he simply responds by tightening his arms around her. "Dearest, I could never hate you."

"Oh, but you will." She laughs bitterly, "Alexander," she finally moves to look him in the face, not hiding the tears building in her eyes. "Alexander, I want to know about the cure because I need it. I-I" a few tears trail down her cheeks, "I'm a vampire." She admits as she closes her eyes tightly, no longer wishing to see his reaction to her secret.

His heartbeat is steady, and he doesn't move, and for a moment she thinks he hasn't hear or realized what she's just told him. But then rough hands cradle her face and she opens her eyes at the softness of the touch. "I know." He brushes at her tears, "I know."

"How did you-?"

"I'm a hunter Rebekah," he tells her gently, "It didn't take me long to figure it out." His finger brushed along the daylight ring she wore. "For your sake I am going to find this cure, I promise you that."