28- The Recovery (E)

Anthea... Thea... my child, wake up.

Open your eyes and see. See what you are. See what I made you become.

Anthea...

Anthea...

THEA!

~~~~

Thea groaned in pain. Her entire body was aching. Her muscles were tight and pulsing. Thea hissed as she struggled to open her eyes, the harsh bright light attacking her eyes. She blinked, trying to adjust her eyes to the light shining on her. Using her weak muscles, Thea slowly pushed herself on the crisp white bed she was laying on. With her eyes newly adjusted to the sharp lights, she began to notice her surroundings. To the right of her bed was a simple window with blinds pulled open, letting sunlight in. Directly ahead of Thea was a stand that, on top of it, held a vase filled with flowers and a tv adjacent to it.

Thea pulled back the covers that kept her warm and with a ragged breath, she placed both of her feet on the cold hard tile. Thea first wiggled her toes to make sure she still retained feeling in them. She then gripped the side of the bed, facing the window and looked out it. All Thea could see was green grass. With shaky hands, she slowly pushed herself up into a standing position.

Her back ached and screamed from the new position it was being forced into, but she pushed through it. Thea's legs began to shutter from the weight that had now been forced upon them. She inhaled a deep breath and bent her knee, preparing to take a step forward. The beeping that was coming from the monitor was growing louder and faster; it knew her heart rate was increasing at a rapid pace. She turned her head over her shoulder to glare at the source of the noise. Thea furrowed her eyebrows and looked at the wires coming out of the machine. She followed their trail to her arm. An IV was placed in her right arm, pumping vital fluids to her. Another wire was connected to her fingertip with a clasp over it, the one checking her heart rate.

Thea raised her left hand steadily and ripped off the heart rate clasp, the constant beeping now transformed into a low steady buzz. She then tore off the last remaining wire that constricted her, the IV that was connected directly to her veins. Ripping off this one might have been the wrong choice because as soon as she did, a small but steady flow of blood began to trickle out of the hole it left.

Her hand immediately went to grasp the wound, trying to stop the bleeding. While Thea did so, a loud 'bang', the sound of a door opening made her jump. With her hand still holding her other, Thea turned around on wobbling knees to see Tony, disheveled and looking worse for wear, panting while holding open the door. Through bag ridden eyes he looked up at her and sighed in relief.

"Oh thank god, thank god," He said in a low voice. With broad strides, he came around the bed and stood right in front of Thea. Both Tony and her were illuminated by the sunlight shining through the window next to them. He stood there, silently, for a moment before he opened his arms wide and hugged her in a choking grip.

"Ow, ow, you're hurting me."

"Oh I'm so sorry kiddo," Tony said while loosening up his grip on her completely, his hands laying on his side, limp.

Thea smiled at him and he smiled back.

"So..." Thea paused thinking of something to say, "What happened while I was asleep?"

Tony too, stayed silent and moved his eye contact to the floor. He sighed and brought a hand up to rub his eyes and then looked back up at Thea.

"You missed a lot while you were in a coma for a week."

Thea raised her eyebrows and her eyes grew, "A week?! I've been in a coma for a whole week?" She took a step back towards the bed behind her, her leg knocking into the side of it.