8. Trouble Back Home

When Peridot didn't feel as sick, the two girls decided to buy some ice cream. And in line, they were discussing who was going to pay. "I would, but I don't feel like talking to Jasper about her money anymore." Said Peridot.

     Lapis suddenly remembered yesterday's incident, and brought out her own wallet. "Which ice cream do you want?"

     "Uh, strawberry."

     "Alright." Lapis readied two dollars and waited. After three other people purchased their treats, she finally got to the counter. "One strawberry, one mint chocolate chip please." She said. The man behind the counter nodded and prepared the cones. "So," Lapis said to Peridot, "you're a strawberry person?"

     "D-Don't judge me! You're a mint person."

     Lapis stuck her tongue out. "Strawberry and mint... Doesn't that sound like a gum flavor?"

     "Like Icebreakers gum or...?"

     "Yeah." Lapis continued, grabbing both ice cream cones and handing Peridot hers. "Icebreakers sounds right."

     "I think they have one out already." The blonde added, licking her ice cream and stepping out of line. Now she held the plush by it's arm.

     "Probably."

     The two walked along Fuland's boardwalk while they ate. Lapis tried to keep a conversation between the two, but the other girl didn't say much. She seemed to hold back from it. Up close, however, she noticed that Peridot had wore some pale green blush, which was odd, but it made her light up like her plush every time they made eye-contact. It was a bit cute, if Lapis were to be honest. As she kept sneaking looks to her acquaintance, she also noticed that her glasses were cracked. "What are you looking at my like that for?" She asked, noticing Lapis' concerned glance.

     "No reason."

     "Ok. Sure." Peridot said sarcastically. They kept walking.

...

     Why is she staring at me like that? Thought Peridot. Is there something wrong? Is it my eyes, are they bloodshot again? Did my hand bleed onto my face too much? She stole a glance at Lapis, who was looking forward and eating the top of her ice cream cone, and then looked at her hand. No, no, that's ridiculous. She went to lick her ice cream, and stopped. Maybe I'm overthinking this, I probably have just some ice cream on my face. Peridot was about to wipe her mouth before deciding against it. That would be a pretty slob-like move wouldn't it? God what is wrong with me? She looked to Lapis, who at the same time looked at her, and turned away in a panic. She did it again! That look!

     "Peridot, something wrong?"

     "Uh-um-no! I'm good! Good, and everything's fine!" Peridot stammered. Shut up! Shut up shut up! God dammit Lapis don't make me say words!

     "Okay?" They ended up back at the Funland arch, and went under it, exiting the amusement park. "That was fun, wasn't it?" It was noon now, so somehow they spent two full hours at the amusement park.

     Peridot just quickly nodded and tried to eat her ice cream and calm down.

     "What do we do now?"

     "Wh-what do you mean?"

     "I mean it's just midday! We still have loads of time left, so what do we do?"

     "I don't know this town or what to do in it! And besides, you shouldn't ask me, I wouldn't know fun if it was the bullet that almost hit between my eyes!"