Eventually, they made their way into the waterside district, where the masts of tall ships jutted into the air like a forest of bobbing, leafless trees. Now Colm could, technically, see the water, but it was dark and filthy and coated with refuse. He felt...disappointed. This was the vaunted sea? This cesspit of humanity, transported from land to water? Marley asked an old man mending a net about the Cove, and they were pointed to a smallish inn at the far side of the long expanse of docks. Marley left him in front of it.

"Best of luck to you," was all he said before turning around and darting back into the crowd. Colm watched him go and bit back the shameful urge to call out, like a child. He would be fine. He squared his shoulders, retrieved Desandre's letter from his pack and headed into the inn.

The Cove was a double-level structure, with a large, well-lit taproom below and bedrooms above. It likely couldn't house more than twenty guests, but far more than that were eating and drinking at the long, communal tables that covered the floor. Girls wearing aprons flitted back and forth, carrying food and drink to the tables, and a man with a tattooed face tended the bar. There was no one Colm could see who looked old enough to be Desandre's aunt.

"Welcome to the Cove," a slim young woman said as she sidled up. Her hair was tied back in a kerchief, and her arms were bare and strong. "Here for a meal or here to stay? It's a busy night, and there's but one room left, so it'll be a bit dear, I'm afraid, unless you've a mind to share it."

"Actually, I..." Colm fumbled for his letter. "I've a...this is for...I'm looking for Meggyn Searunner." He handed the girl the thin folded parchment. She took it and looked at it dubiously.

"Bringing her mail?"

"Among other things," he said, his chest gone taut and breathless.

"Well, I'll take it to her and see what she says. Meantime, settle yourself at the bar to pass the time."

"Oh, I don't drink," slipped out from Colm's mouth, and the girl looked at him for a moment before laughing.

"You don't! Not a priest, are ye?" She looked him up and down speculatively. "You don't have the look of a priest."

"I'm not a priest," Colm assured her. "I just...it doesn't tend to agree with me."

"Some small beer," the girl insisted, leading him over to the bar. There was an empty stool at the end, and she pressed him down into it. "Just some small beer. It's good for you. Eases your pains after a long day but doesn't cloud your mind. Vernon!" she called out to the barkeep. "A pint of small beer for..." She looked at him again. "What's your name?"

"Colm Weathercliff," he said, giving up on fighting it as the tattooed man set a mug down in front of him with a thunk. He would just drink it...slowly. Very slowly.

"Weathercliff! And here I took you for a country lad."

"I am a country lad," Colm told her with a smile. "My father came from the coast, but this is my first time here."

"Well, welcome," she said. "I'm Idra. Let me go give this to Mistress Megg and we'll see what she has to say." Idra walked around the bar into the back room, and Colm bravely took a sip of his small beer. It was...honestly, it tasted closer to water than alcohol, nothing like the spirits he'd consumed on the road. He took a more generous sip, and Vernon nodded at him approvingly.

"Thank you," Colm said to him. Vernon knocked once on the table.

Col wondered if this was some sort of Caithmor custom he'd have to get used to. He knocked as well, and Vernon suddenly grinned, then shook his head.

"No, I shouldn't knock?" Colm asked him. Vernon didn't say anything. Had Colm somehow offended him?

"He can't speak back," Idra said, reappearing at Colm's side. "Vernon's mute. Had his tongue cut out a dozen years ago. One knock either means 'yes', 'thank you' or 'you're welcome' depending on the question. Two knocks means 'no' or 'watch your mouth', and after that, all the knocks are against foolish heads, so it's best to keep it to one." She winked mischievously at Vernon, then said, "Mistress Megg wants to see you. Follow me back."