Chapter 2

Ford's P.O.V.

Today is Friday and I'm being forced to go to my brothers' football game.
I just got home from school and only the girls were home.
"Fordy, get your homework done please." Elaine told me.
I nodded and sat down at the kitchen island.
I started doing my homework and got half way through my math when I got stuck.

Elaine and Lydia were upstairs getting ready so I couldn't ask them for help.
I sighed and tried to figure out the question.

I heard the front door open and close and Zack came into the kitchen.
"Hey loser." He said ruffling my hair.
"I need help." I replied gesturing to my math homework.
He nodded and sat down next to me.
"Division. Easy." Zack said and showed me how to do it.
"I don't get it." I replied.
"Here, I'll do this one with you." He said.
"So how many times does 25 go into 200?" Zack asked me.
"I don't know." I answered.
"Okay. So let's count by 25 and see how long it takes to get to 200." Zack replied.
"25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, 175, 200." We counted.
"So eight times." Zack said.
I nodded and wrote down 8.

"You try the next one. It's multiplication. I'll be right back." He said and went upstairs.
I looked at the next question and it said "5 x 104."
I added 104 together 5 times and got 520.
I wrote down the answer and moved on to the next question.
"34 x 20."
I sighed and tried to figure it out.

After five minutes, Zack came back down and asked me "So how's it goes it going?"
"Horrible. I did the first one but I can't figure out the other one." I answered.
"34 x 20. Okay, so count by twenties." He said.
I tried it but kept messing up.
"I can't do it." I replied.
"Yes you can. I've seen you do it before. I know you can." He said.
"Can't you use a calculator?" He asked.
"No. The teacher told us to try it without a calculator." I answered getting frustrated.
"Okay. There's no need to get upset, buddy. It's just math. So let's try to figure it out." He replied calmly sensing my frustration.

"Zack, am I stupid?" I asked him.
"Of course not. Why?" He answered.
"Because I don't understand this math. I'm not good at it. It's so stupid. I will never need to use it." I replied.
"Ford, you're not stupid. It takes some people a little longer to understand math. That's all." He said.
"But I've been on this question for the past ten minutes and I still don't get it." I sighed and started crying.
"Buddy, I get that you're upset. I know it's hard. But, you don't have to cry over it. It's just math." He told me.
"I'm just frustrated. Everybody else in the family is smart and I'm the only stupid one." I said.

"Ford. I told you that you're not stupid. It's okay to not be good at math. Most people aren't that great at it either. Who cares that math isn't your best subject? I'm not good at science either. You're good at other things. You don't have to be good at math. You're good at science and English class. Lots of kids aren't." Zack said.
"But I can't fail math. Mom and dad will kill me. I'm stupid and you know it!" I replied.
"Ford Walter Little. Look at me. You are not stupid. You are the smartest person I know." Zack told me.
I stopped crying and calmed down after five minutes and Zack helped me finish my homework.
"Thanks Zack." I said.
"No problem, loser. Now go get a sweater on and change your shirt." He replied.
I nodded and went upstairs to my room.
I got on a shirt that said "People  say I talk with my hands."
I know sign language and I don't use it too much, but at school my teachers use it.

" I know sign language and I don't use it too much, but at school my teachers use it