Chapter 6

"Sire, I would strongly advise against this course of action."

"Your opinion is noted," the king replied, "but I am determined. If the Duc de Cassel is in league with an unknown entity to bring about my downfall, the closer we keep him, the better for us. Besides, with Reynaud no longer amongst the living, someone new needs to be appointed as Justice Minister. I see this opportunity as somewhat fortuitous."

Fabien, Bontemps and His Majesty were sequestered within the war room. The other ministers had not yet been summoned or even appraised of the king's newest appointee to the French cabinet. Fabien knew there was sure to be a riot. None of the nobles liked, respected or trusted Cassel. But if they hoped to trap the duc and his accomplices, then no one save the three of them could know the king's true motives for the dubious appointment.

"And what of you, Bontemps? Do you share Fabien's concerns?" Louis asked from his seated position at the head of the table. Dressed in sumptuous style in a deep blue coat with tasteful accents of gold brocade, and surrounded by sheaths of parchment that required his royal seal of approval, His Majesty looked every inch the intimidating monarch.

Bontemps glanced briefly at Fabien from across the table. "I can see the merits of both arguments, Sire. It certainly makes sense to keep Cassel close, but if he is as guilty as we suppose he is, it would naturally also increase the risk of potential harm to either Your Majesty or any other member of the royal family. I would venture to say that therein lies the greater concern."

Fabien nodded in approval. Bontemps was a shrewd man who was wholly devoted to the king, but he was no fool. He was also not afraid to voice his opinions. Thankfully, while Louis did not always like hearing his thoughts contradicted, he seemed to respect Bontemps all the more for having the courage to voice them.

"Then as always it shall fall upon you and your men to keep us all safe." The king's piercing blue gaze fixed Fabien in place. "I expect you to succeed, Marchal."

Quelling his own inner frustration at the lack of progress he'd made thus far, Fabien nevertheless dutiful replied, "Of course."

The king proceeded to pour himself some wine from a crystal and silver carafe. "Good. I will make the announcement this evening."

"Sire, if I may, I would like your permission to take leave of Versailles for a few days to travel north to the duc's estate near Calais. His holdings have been searched before, but never in my presence. I feel there might be something of importance there that my men have overlooked."

Louis stared at Fabien over the rim of his wine glass. "You think it an appropriate time to forsake me?"

Fabien schooled his features to resemble a blank slate. Inducing guilt was a regular strategy the king employed when he wanted his way. But Fabien was determined. He'd faced too many dead ends of late to let this opportunity slip by unexplored. Ordinarily, he would not want to leave with king without his personal protection, but they were running out of time. If Cassel was hiding something within the boundaries of his home, Fabien would find it. "I would never forsake you, Sire. I would be gone for no more than a week, and my most trusted men will stay behind. They are well trained and will not fail in their duty. I would not suggest this course if I was not certain all would be well while I was away."

The king glanced at Bontemps with a raised brow. The older man folded his hands behind his back. "Sire, if you are determined to follow through with this plan, then while Cassel is distracted by his perceived victory, I doubt he would notice Fabien's absence from court."

Expecting the king to raise a few more objections, Fabien was surprised to hear him say, "Very well. I trust you to be discrete." Fabien inclined his head. "I have been meaning to ask," Louis continued, a hint of curiosity in his eyes, "how is your young spy faring?"