Chapter Two

2/7/2018

8:44 a.m., first period, Social Studies.

Point of view: Chase Anderson

HONESTLY Nico Miller thinks that he's the shit juts because he can complete one of the hardest tests in one of the hardest chapters in one of the hardest classes in under two minutes and still get an one hundred on it. Perhaps this makes him better than me in one aspect--intellect, but that doesn't mean that he is better than me. It just means that he can do something that I suck at, but effortlessly. I could do that, too. All I need to do is try a little bit harder. I can do that.

I cant do that. I've tried, believe me, I have tried so hard for hours to improve my grade in this class. I don't understand how he does it. He isn't even that smart! But Nico Fucking Miller somehow manages to have the best grade out of everyone in this class.

I hate him. I hate him more than I've ever hated anyone else.

O.K., so I don't hate him. I want to be him. Yes, you heard it correctly, I, Chase Anderson, am quite jealous of Nico Miller. Now that I think about it, I always have been a little bit jealous of him.

I tap my pencil nervously on my desk while taking the test, not knowing the answers to any of these questions. My mind wont even properly focus in on any of the words, let alone put them into a functional and understandable sentence. God.

But Nico, on the other hand, who, unfortunately, sits next to me in this class, was already done and definitely aced it. "Stop tapping your pencil, or so fucking help me, I will snap it in half right here and now," he threatens under his breath, to which I remain silent, as I am not trying to get a zero on this for quote on quote cheating. Then again, I'm not so sure I'll even get above a zero anyways.

He's watching me take my test: looking at my answers, examining me, and anything else you could imagine. It's like he's trying to make me mess up more. I can't do well under any sort of pressure. I crumble. It's as if he's watching me fail and finding it amusing.

It irks me to not be able to say something back to him, but at the same time, I can't risk it.

How does he do it? How does he manage to remain so perfect? I hate him.