Chapter 8: Anne and W.D.

Anne and her brother stared at the feast before them, butterflies swarming their stomachs. The good kind of butterflies, like the kind you get when you finish your chores and get to relax, or win the spelling bee and make your parents proud.
But that magnificent and rare feeling that had taken over Anne and W.D. didn't last very long.
"Blacks sit here." Mistress Eleanor grabbed them from their ears and escorted them to a rather dark and moldy table to the far right corner of the dining room.
It definitely wasn't the best; a candle sat in the middle of the table, not lit and half the wax already melted, an effort to make it look good but not enough effort to make the Wheeler siblings comfortable.
Anne and W.D. were grateful though, because not only did that table have a measly candle, but there sat a loaf of bread and cheese.
The malnourished children who hadn't eaten a proper meal in days (weeks, even!) began stuffing their facing profusely. The children from the larger table that were looking down at the two curiously now wore faces of disgust.
"Now I assure you children our new guests will learn their manners soon enough. Please, do not stare, as they are a disgrace." Mistress Eleanor explained to the children, a soft tone in her voice but a harsh manner in her words. "Let's say our prayers and begin our meal."
"Yes, Mistress Eleanor!" All the children but Anne and W.D. chorused in response.
Anne and W.D. watched as the dozens of pale faces turned away and they began eating again, not caring about a judge in the world.
Once they had devoured their food, Mistress Eleanor announced it was time for bed, and that children must wash up their faces and brush their teeth. Anne and W.D. followed the children as Mistress Eleanor ushered them up the stairs, but just as they were about to plant their feet on the first step, she grabbed them by the collar of their clothes.
"Ah, ah, ah!" She hummed, as if she were scolding a toddler. "Blacks must wash up in the outhouse outside. You may use the hose for your faces and hands."
Anne knew she shouldn't have gotten her hopes up. Even for such a simple thing as using the bathroom she wasn't allowed to do the same thing as the other kids.
Her and her brother solemnly hung their heads low as they made their way outside.
"We need to find a way out of here, Annie." W.D. said, flopping down on the mattress.
"You can say that again." Anne sighed, wrinkling her nose at the musty smell.
She'd been sneezing nonstop ever since they'd been assigned to the room, and she guessed it was because of all the dust.
"We need to make a plan." Anne said, looking over at the mysterious object covered by a sheet.
"Maybe we could sneak out after breakfast tomorrow."
"We can't; that woman watches everyone like a hawk!" Anne ripped the sheet off of the object, only to find a broken mirror. She sat down in front of it and began to run her curly brown locks though her fingers.
"Let's just use the window. Thursday night." W.D. proposed his plan.
"Why not tomorrow?" Anne whined.
"Because I just feel like it's risky disappearing the second day we're here. It'll raise too many suspicions." W.D. tried to calm his stubborn sister.
"Fine." Anne said.
And with that, the two went to sleep.