I. Two days in a Row

"Wake up, wake up, wake up

Gotta get it, get it
Got it going Gucci baby
Hold me down for the weekend
Make it all 'bout you 
"

Two Days by Marteen were blasting on my iPod as I took a long hit from my cigarette. I sighed, this taste so  much better than the stale sandwich handed to me by my boss this afternoon. I could not afford lunch this day and he must've seen my great longing for the food I am serving, I almost scarfed down some left overs from somebody else's plate. 

Almost.

  "I lost track of time
When you caught my eye
..."

"6 more minutes until 10:00pm", I muttered under my breath trying to wrap my thin cardigan along my uniform from the harsh Canadian night breeze.

 " two days in a row, yeah
We haven't quit, two days in a row..
"  

"I sure haven't quit Two days in a row, I  surprise myself that I didn't collapsed without food for 47 hours", I told myself as I stepped on the blazing filter of my cigarette. 

"ELLIE!!!!!!!!"

Allison is screaming near the exit door not far from where I'm standing,  Mr. Robertson must have dine in for his usual-unusual brew of coffee. I hurriedly went inside while tying my apron again and grabbing my notepad from the dirty counter back to the restaurant. When I got in Allison was biting her nails anxiously and looking over her notepad with her brows in a knot. Usually she's carefree and natural in handling orders and problems from difficult customers but Mr. Robertson always gets in her nerve.

" I just couldn't understand him this time! I know you said if he comes in to be nice to him and speak slowly so we can understand each other but his request are just out of this world!!! Help me out please! you're the only one who can take his orders without having him call his "imaginary personal security again", she strongly begged while holding on to my arms probably for support since her 2 inch shoe is somewhat wobbly from being overused  it has nearly been  2 years now, i remember getting lost in my thoughts.

" Dont worry, I got you. But you'll be the one to serve his order, I have another job to get to", I said. She just nodded firmly with a grateful look on her face, I proceed to go to the very end of the room the last table beside the window.

I heard him muttering and quietly complaining to himself. Mr Robertson always look presentable sort of  gentleman looking he is probably in his late 70's and always carrying with him a big brown cigar and a wooden black cane. He always have a grumpy look on his face every time he dines in and never ever forgets to nod to women as an acknowledgment if seated by a table beside him.

" Good evening Mr. Robertson, you have come in late today I see. Do you.." Before I could ask him what he wants to order I was getting yelled at by my favorite customer.

" Bullshit! This is precisely not a good evening! Before you go ahead and lavish me with youre sweet talk and rehearsed gestures like all the waitresses here , let me ask you.. Is it ever so impossible to jot down on that cheap notepad of yours that I want black coffee the blackest you have with a shot of jasmine tea a sprinkle of brandy and one lump of sugar? Also by usual, what  I mean is.."

"Fried Eggplant with turmeric powder, chili flakes, dash of salt and pepper, with a little oregano don't use canola oil but olive oil because you're allergic to canola and to never forget the 5 almond nuts on the side. Also, you don't want your coffee to be cold but you don't want it to be served ahead while waiting for the eggplant to be finished, instead you want the eggplant to be nearly cooked first then proceed to fix the coffee and serve it together so both of them are still hot and yummy and you'll enjoy you're dinner  more" I interrupted and we are both out of breath and red faced from all that usual unusual order of the surprised senior.

"Well... Y-yes and you forgot my dessert missy", Mr. Roberston have calmly adjusted himself from his seat this time and seems clearly satisfied from his series of request I just blurted out. I am clearly late this time I need to hurry up or $300 will be put to waste if I didn't show up on my second part time job.

"Of course, Classic Donut dipped in chocolate  Brandy Coming right up" I excused myself while he gave me a satisfied nod.

I carefully list down and explained it to the new trainee cook all of Mr. Robertson's request he seemed confused at first because It is clearly not on the menu, everything -especially the classic donut with brandy infused chocolate dip. 

Clearly seeing my desperation to leave the restaurant Allison untied my apron from my back and handed my backpack to me. " I got you girl", she smiled "Now go and be a personal driver to a spoiled  rich man's kid". She said while going through my notes again.

I nod gratefully and scribbled a note to Allison to hand over  Mr. Robertson. When I was rushing to catch the bus on the other side of the road. I caught a glimpse of  Mr. Robertson waving his hand by the window holding out my note smiling.