11) Ally wanted

Vera was pissed. She was pissed at Matt for not telling her things, she was pissed at herself for not being more careful when keeping Matt's secret, she was pissed at the Avengers who had lied through their teeth when saying she or Matt could call them any time, she was pissed at the Hand for making their world insanely dangerous again and she was fucking pissed at the whole universe, because Matt was apparently about to die.

Vera knew Matt would be pissed too if he knew she was trying to drag someone else into this fight. But honestly, she didn't give a shit, because him staying alive was kinda her priority. She just kept trying. Over. And over. Again. She lost count.

Somewhere along the way, Mrs. Walker called her, asking her if she knew when she was coming back to work again; Vera had no answer for that. Her boss was not pleased, but when Vera gently reminded her, that it didn't depend on Vera and it was on the police to decide when she would not need their protection anymore, Mrs. Walker seemed mollified; especially hearing Vera's tired voice. Vera wondered how her terrified voice would work, because the longer she spoke to her boss, the more impatient she was getting, the more guilt she was feeling, because she had no time for that, there were so much more important things to do; like trying to save Matt's freaking life.

Matt had had three super-powered people and his mentor with him when his psychotic ex had impaled Stick and kidnapped Danny. How could she have done that? How was even possible for anyone to do that?! And if Luke, Jessica and Danny hadn't been enough, how could Vera help to keep Matt alive? Her only option was to call up some back-up, but obviously, the Avengers weren't around, just like the last time this whole Hand and Chaste shit-storm had arrived.

Vera froze. Just like the last time.

The idea was insane and condemned to fail, Vera was well-aware of that. But she didn't really have much of choice, did she? She searched the internet; she had no idea if she should be even keeping her hopes up when she found the number. She copied and dialled.

Oh boy. This is what clutching straws looks like.

When the voice on the other end of the line actually spoke, introducing themselves , Vera gulped, panicking. What if the answer indeed would be no? What option she would have left?

"Hey. It's... Vera, uhm, Vera from New York. Hell's Kitchen. Barista... among other things. I- I really need your help."

The lump in her throat was growing gradually as she was explaining the situation - not that she had much time for that, so she was keeping it as short as possible. Yet, she was barely in the middle of the story when Detective Knight walked out of the precinct, spotting Vera and making her way right to her.

"Shit. I gotta go. Just... please?" Vera murmured to the phone, her last chance to speak up before the detective was in the earshot, watching her with inquiring gaze, attentive eyes scanning her. Vera kept her body from shivering with the power of her will.

This could mean nothing good.

"Detective Knight. Is everything alright?"

"Had an important call to make?" the detective asked, suggesting Vera's hidden agenda. Oh, she had no idea what Vera's agenda was, that was for sure.

"Yes, as the matter of fact. Is there anything I can do for you?"

Maybe it was only Vera's imagination, but the woman's smile was a little predatory. And Vera was her prey; it didn't feel good.

"Actually, yes. I'd like to talk to you." We're talking. "Let's come inside."

Vera gulped as Detective Knight spun on her heels. Vera followed her with displeasure and fear. This was bad. Bad, bad, bad. Detective Knight wanted to talk to her, that was the thing Vera had been afraid of. Though 'had' felt like the key word, because ever since Vera had talked to Terri, a different fear made it to the top of that list.