Chapter 13: Clarity

Start from the beginning

Soon the neighborhood was known as The Negro Wall Street. Wealthy African American men and women thrived everyday, assisting each other rather than competing since during that time segregated laws kept them from shopping and engaging with one another in other areas. 

That was until the Tulsa Race Riots...

It was a difficult time but the elders of the Harris family were blessed enough to make it through and rebuild their fortunes and passed it down generation to generation

Carla had met Frank at a local supermarket. Her mother had sent her to the market for a roll of oats and a loaf of bread, but the money she had wasn't enough. Embarrassed that Frank was standing next to her when the clerk told her she was short. She hastily walked out of the store, leaving the food and unconsciously the few dollars she did have. Her mind was so far gone that she hadn't realized that she was being followed by a guy full of groceries in his hands. 

He was her best friend. Her only friend...

But just like every other man, he moved on and of course with the help of his parents. Who's true agenda was to keep the wealth within the family and marry their son off with someone of equal or higher caliber. Someone who  wasn't Carla, but she was worthy of two position and two position only.

The Other Woman  and The Help.

Despite his parents disapproval at first, Frank had got her a job working for the Harris family. She was only worthy of being kept close, but nothing more. Starting from washing dishes to cleaning rooms, it took everything in her to do a great job so she could receive more duties. At first, Carla thought it was a great idea, given the fact that she would be near Frank all the time, but that soon died down as his mother caught on. 

As they got older and more mature, dates with other women started to be constant. Carla knew it was his parents idea, but never saw him refute. His mother didn't care about about the different women that he would bring home each night. As long as it was her. 

"You're going to regret leaving her like this," she said. The only sentence that she wished that she said early on her their relationship. "Don't do it."