Setting The Wolf Free - Sequel to The Wolf Inside

Start from the beginning

The man looks up, surprised by his daughter and granddaughter's appearances.

He comes to a stop in front of them, breathing heavily as sweat drips down his face.

"Grandfather?" the little girl asks in a hushed voice, earning a tight smile from the man.

"Hello my little darling" he greets raggedly, placing a hand on her small blonde head. "Aeri, what are you both doing here?"

Aeri gives her Father, Chief of their homeland, a suspicious look.

"We made plans to visit Mother a few days ago" she says wryly. "Did you forget?"

Kisei wipes his arm across his forehead, letting out a breath.

"I'm sorry Aeri" he murmurs, fuchsia eyes cast down to the ground. "With the events that have just transpired, many things have slipped my mind."

The young blonde girls gives a cry of fright and buries her face in her Mother's leg, as a low, blood curdling growl echoes down the hallway.

The growl slowly turns into a dark chuckle, sending a shiver up Aeri's spine.

"Father" she says quietly. "What's going on back there? And don't try to sugar coat anything either."

Kisei Minami stares at his daughter thoughtfully, before taking a deep breath.

"You know that your Mother was sick" he begins, making Aeri freeze.

"Was?" she asks pointedly, making her Father nod sadly.

"Yes, she passed away only minutes ago" he whispers, tears forming in his eyes. "Her seal on the......creature has been weakening as her body has. She fought against it for the longest time, I mean, you know what a stubborn trooper your Mother was......But just before, she finally collapsed and fell to the floor."

Tears begin dripping down Aeri's cheeks, as the young blonde attached to her leg scrunches up her face, trying to understand just what the adults were talking about.

"Mother....." Aeri whispers sadly, hastily wiping away her tears. "But Father, what's going on down there? That's quite a racket going on."

As his young granddaughter sighs quietly, Kisei's eyes suddenly light up, a thoughtful look crossing his face.

He whirls around, grabbing his daughter's shoulders tightly.

"Aeri" he begins seriously, gazing into her fuchsia orbs with his own. "Back there, in that very room, the Ten Tailed Wolf is breaking free from its prison in your Mother's body."

Aeri gasps, making the little girl's face snap up to look at her.

"Oh no..." she says tightly, mind whirling.

While it was true that in the Land of Ambience, hosts of the Ten Tailed Wolf were hailed as selfless heroes and saviours, it was a most feared creature.

As soon as its feet touched the earth, it would seek to destroy everything in sight.

Its hate and bloodlust were on an unearthly level, and nobody ever wanted it to be unleashed into the world again.

"Aeri, our chosen vessel for the beast is away on a mission" the Chief continues hurriedly, hearing the cries of his fellow Clan members as they strain to keep the escaping beast under control.

"He won't be back for days" Kisei informs his daughter, a pleading tone beginning to seep into his voice. "We need a new vessel now. Or the whole Village is doomed."

Aeri's widen in horror, as realisation slowly dawns on her.

She shakes her head vigorously, feeling as if someone had just pouring a bucket of ice cold water all over her.