(Forty Four: The Parting of Ways)

Start from the beginning

He made a surprised noise, and took a second to fully comprehend the situation. Evidently, he decided to fully concede all attempts at wrapping his mind around what was going on because then he was kissing her back, winding his fingers into her hair. 

Oddly enough, the only time he seemed more surprised was when she pulled back, and Sirius was left with his fingers still tangled up in her thick strands of brown hair, sort of staring at her weirdly.

"What's up, Black?" Alex asked, "You speechless?"

He opened his mouth wider, and then closed it, suddenly insulted, "Shut up."

"That's what I say." Alex threw a handful of popcorn at him, flopping back down so that her shoulder was rubbing against his once more, "So can it, Snuffles."

"You know Moony hasn't stopped calling me that since you came up with it." Sirius sounded slightly betrayed.

Alex grinned, "I would expect nothing less. I miss the time when you couldn't talk."

"Well, there is one sure way to shut me up."

Alex raised her eyebrows at him, "Was that flirting, Mr Black?"

"Oh, come on," Sirius buried his head in her shoulder, "I can't flirt now?"

He could feel her shaking when she laughed, "Be honest, Black, did you expect anything else?"

"Have you ever dated Logan?" Sirius asked suddenly. Alex immediately broke away from him, "That sounded way more insecure than I meant it."

"I-" Logan's gay, That was the truthful answer, that and the concept of a romantic connection with the muggleborn had never even begun to speculate the possibility of crossing her mind. But she didn't know who he was out to yet, and Alex was far from entitled to just hand out her friend's personal information, "No. That would be- Why?"

Sirius swallowed, obviously regretting his decision, "I just- You spent a lot of time together, and-"

"And you were jealous." Alex finished, feeling somewhat disappointed, "And possibly trying to dictate who I spend my time with. Which is wrong. If you were thinking that."

Sirius shook his head resolutely.

"And also completely gender assuming and heteronormative." Alex continued, she wasn't entirely sure what to say, but she was still irritated, so it made sense to keep talking, "Like, have you ever dated James?"

"No." Sirius admitted slowly, "But I did date Moony. If that's what you want to call it."

Alex blinked at that. Not what she had been expecting. What was it she had been saying about being heteronormative?

She tilted her head, "You did?"

"Yeah, but it was... I mean, we were both just figuring stuff out." Sirius explained, "We were friends before anything else."

Alex locked her eyes with him, "So... Bi?"

"Pan." He corrected, "Or omni. Or whatever the hell they call it. To be honest, the whole thing still confuses me."

"Just with a very specific thing for werewolves?" Alex asked, raising her eyebrows.

Sirius pointed an accusing finger at her, "You weren't a werewolf when I-"

"When you what?" She felt a smile tug at her mouth.

The boy opened his mouth once, and then closed it, and then opened it again. He looked rather like a fish. In the end, he gave up trying to act suave, "You know what I mean."