(Thirty Nine: The Worst Birthday)

"How's she doing?"

"Appallingly well."

"Really?"

"Yeah, she mastered Mario Kart and now none of us can beat her. She won against me blindfolded. Literally blindfolded."

Sirius frowned across the table at his friend. It was Summer. Alex Fawley hadn't come back to school, which wasn't surprising. It wasn't exactly a haven of escape for her. Instead, from what he understood, she had used up her days tip-toeing around the Lupin household and guiltily tidying up after herself whenever she thought no one would notice. That is, of course, when she wasn't in the living room mastering the same video game over and over again.

"I meant, how's she doing with her parents and stuff," Sirius clarified, "Although I'm sure the safety of your high score on Rainbow Road is of equal importance."

Remus sat up, looking slightly guilty, "Oh."

"So?" James asked, sliding onto the seat opposite. The Potter's garage was in the process of being renovated for what James insisted was the millionth time this year, "Has she talked to Micah? What about Logan? How's she doing with the furry little problem?"

"Those were a lot of questions that I am not emotionally equipped to deal with." Remus sank low over his coffee, "Her brother's over there now. That's why I got out. Give her some space, you know."

Sirius still wasn't satisfied, "But how's she acting?" 

"I honestly don't know." Remus replied unhelpfully, "She just stares at the screen and makes coffees. Occasionally she calls Snape."

"Snivellous?" Sirius fired back instantly, unable to keep a lid on his incredulity.

Remus nodded, "Yeah, he's been around a couple of times. Brought her some... Well, I guess they're presents or something."

"But she hasn't..." Sirius looked at his hands, wrapped around a steaming mug of tea, "I mean, she hasn't asked for me?"

Remus shook his head, "Sorry, mate. I don't think she's even aware of herself most of the time."

She was aware enough to call Snape, Sirius thought, but he didn't say it. It wasn't the right moment to let jealousy cloud his judgement, "D'you think we should go see her?"

James looked at Remus.

The werewolf thought about it for a moment, "It probably wouldn't hurt her. She's just sort of... Hovering about at the moment. Give it a few hours, and we'll head over."

"Good." Sirius looked down at his drink, and then back up at his friends, and then took a long swig.

James squinted at him, "It's like I can actually see your tail wagging."

Sirius threw a coaster at him.

{===}

"Thank you... For coming." Alex was stood in the middle of the Lupin's living room in her pyjamas. Well, technically, they were Remus' pyjamas, 'BOYS: TEN YEARS' stitched on the inside, some book line Alex didn't know on the front.

Her brother, on the other hand, was in one of their dad's old hoodies- one of the ones he'd hated so much he'd given to their cousin. His jeans were stained, Alex doubted he'd washed them in days. There were bags under his eyes, his arms were hanging loosely at his sides as he awkwardly faced her.

"I didn't want to." He said honestly.

Alex nodded, "I know. I know you think it was my fault-"

"I don't think anything." Micah interrupted quietly, "You stopped me running in there. You stopped me from saving them. Not very bloody Gryffindor, are you?"