(Thirty Two: Insouciant)

Insouciant: showing a casual lack of concern

{===}

"Man Stabs Own Husband to Death in an Alley, Walks Free... Woman Accused of Five Counts of Homicide Guilty, No Punishment... Mass Murderer Let Loose." Sirius Black frowned down at the newspaper articles, "I'm beginning to rethink going outside. Everyone's a serial killer or a pervert."

Alex glanced up from across the table. They had been going through old newspapers for almost half an hour now, though Alex seemed to be having considerable difficulty, "How far back's that?"

Sirius flipped back to the front of the paper, "Four years ago. April sometime."

"Four years ago." Alex pondered. She looked down at her scratchy, large-fonted notes, "That's when the Death Eaters started killing?"

Sirius pulled a face, "Not exactly. That's when they started committing ordered crimes. Before then it was just the odd muggle born who got in their way. Afterwards, it became targeted. And they started getting away with it."

"Thirty five muderers." Alex commented, looking at him for what felt like the first time, "On average."

He frowned, "What?"

"What you were saying before, about everyone being a killer." She corrected herself awkwardly, "The average person walks past thirty five murderers in their lifetime. Marlene McKinnon said."

"Well, if McKinnon said it, it has to be true." Sirius remarked sarcastically.

Alex rolled her eyes and leaned back in her chair, flapping her newspaper dramatically, "Just makes you think. If you ever worry about being too up yourself, Black, just remember thirty five murderers didn't believe you were worth killing."

"Or alternatively, thirty five people who don't mind taking a life saw something special in me." Sirius said, "And when am I ever up myself?"

Alex snorted, "Would you like me to provide a list? It's alphabetised."

"I thought we talked about this." Sirius sat forwards, planting a finger on the tabletop, "No snark in my library. I don't appreciate the snark."

"You talked, I didn't listen. It's a disturbingly common trend." Alex rolled her eyes, "We're looking for something that happened four years ago, then?"

Sirius narrowed his eyes at the small text without looking up, "No. We know what happened." 

"Do we now?" Alex asked with a sigh. He could hear her sitting back, "And this was decided when?"

Sirius frowned, "Did I not tell you? I could have sworn I said it out loud."

Alex rolled her eyes again, "Unfortunately, Mr Black, I am not a mind-reader, so-"

"You sound like my mother." Sirius muttered.

"Coming from you, I assume that's not a compliment." Alex remarked. She frowned at Sirius. Something was up with him, although she hated the fact that she knew that, "What happened four years ago?"

Sirius looked up at her. He spread his fingers wide, dramatically whispering, "The Shadow Man."

"The what?" Alex raised her eyebrows, "I'm sorry. I don't remember ordering a low-budget Marvel villain."

"I didn't come up with the name." Sirius protested, "It's just what the Death Eaters call him. This guy who organises everything. Before him, the Death Eaters were a public menace, a few murders, nothing really, all the bad guys put behind bars. After he took charge, they were a threat."