John - Schooling a Demon

Start from the beginning

But that's where it went wrong...

A knock at the door surprised (Name), because she wasn't expecting anyone but assumed it was Mary, her old neighbour who sometimes gave her cookies for the children as she knew she was a teacher. When the opened the door, a strange man was outside whose eyes glowed red, in a panic, (Name) slammed the door closed and grabbed her phone, ready to call the police. However, the stranger simply knocked down the door and snatched the phone out of (Name)'s hand, throwing it on the floor.

"I can smell him on you..." The man hissed and (Name) trembled.

"Who?" She asked, timidly.

"Constantine... You were about to call him, weren't you?" The man seized her arm when she didn't reply and (Name) shook her head.

"I don't have his number!" She said, trying to escape the grasp. The stranger simply raised an eyebrow before muttering something in a language that (Name) didn't understand, but she felt the white hot pain that seared through her head as she was tossed into the wall. With a cry, she yelled out for help, but all went dark before anyone came to her rescue.

When she next awoke, (Name) was lying in an alleyway, the sky was light so it had passed mid-day but she didn't know how she had got there. She shot up, realising she was very late to work but was stopped by the blood on her hands and body. (Name) looked around and saw John Constantine with Geraldine's father.

"What- what happened? Where's Geraldine?" She asked, almost fearfully.

"You were possessed by a demon, Love. One that wanted to get to me. I dropped Gerri off at school but they said you hadn't come in so we check your apartment. We found you, but you've been on what looks like a murder spree, so we brought you out here and got the bastard out of you." John said and (Name) yelled in horror.

"I've killed people? Oh my god, I can't go back to my job..." She began to hyperventilate.

"Relax, Love. You only killed Chas and a few animals, I think the thing was a rookie. C'mon, let's get you back to the hotel." John reassured (Name) and helped her stand up, before they got into a taxi and drove away, to the dingy part of town.

John filled (Name) in on the way, and naturally as she was spiritual, (Name) believed him. He informed her about Chas' power to not die and how the demon had come to find her as he had damned the demon to hell a few years before and it wanted revenge. Strangely, (Name) felt safe with John, and then they got to the hotel, he told her to pretend to be unconscious. John carried her through the hotel lobby, bridal style, telling the receptionist that she had been drinking and that the blood was actually some kind of drug. The care in which he handled her made (Name) happy, he held her with a unexpected gentleness and his strong, slightly muscular arms made her feel safe. It wasn't long before John had settled (Name) down on the bed, and had finished explaining everything but all (Name) wanted to do was rest. She quickly dosed off as John spoke to someone on the phone whilst Chas left to go and get them food, probably from the takeaway they saw on their way over. Her sleep at first was peaceful, but as deeper sleep claimed her, the demon that had controlled her mind crept back during her vulnerability. A warped image of her standing over her school children with a blood coated knife appeared and she let out a scream, instantly being awoken by John who stood over her, a concerned look on his face.

"You alright Love?" He asked, hands in front of him in a submissive gesture in order to not frighten (Name).

He had obviously been asleep himself, so she supposed that she had missed mealtime. He wore only his trousers, so (Name) got a good view of a fresh looking wound on his chest.

"Nightmare. That thing had me hurt the children. Did I do that?" (Name) said and John looked down before shrugging.

"The demon did, yeah. Come on, I'll get you some food. Do you like noodles?" John had obviously changed the subject as he didn't want to upset (Name), but she was still rattled.

She nodded, and gladly accepted the food as a sudden hunger had settled in her stomach. She ate in silence as John sat opposite her on the bed and she realised that they had shared it - she wasn't complaining but she had actually just met the guy.

"John?" She asked, after eating. "How did you find me?"

"Gerri told Chas that you hadn't been in all day. I got your address from the head teacher because I told them we were dating, which you know I wouldn't mind to be honest." John teased and (Name) blushed slightly.

"We've only just met properly, but in all honesty I don't think I would mind either. It's surprising what a possession does to a girl." (Name) grinned, being uncharacteristically bold, but hey she did just almost die.

John inched closer, pressing his lips to hers softly. (Name) scooted closer and enjoyed the way he took her body in his arms. It wasn't long before the two were lying side by side, but not taking it further due to the previous incident that (Name) had been involved with.

"Try and get some more sleep, Love. I'll be here when you wake up." John assured (Name) as she dozed back off.